Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Combined Public Liability & Equipment Insurance

Default Combined Public Liability & Equipment Insurance

Yes, another question if I may.

We're getting dangerously close to being ready for taking our first booking now. (The danger of actually getting a booking would be nice too. ) We've got the PAT testing done now and thankfully there was only one lighting failure, so that just leaves the PLI ... and maybe some kind of equipment insurance.

I have found various cheap options for PLI insurance and various slightly more expensive options with higher levels of cover. Then we wondered if there might be a company who have a combined PLI and general equipment insurance cover. Does such a thing exist? I couldn't find anything so I suspect not. But then I thought the good people of the MDD might have a suggestion or two for something along these lines.

Thanks for any info.

John.

Two very different things. Purchase them separately.

First, get your PLI - this is quite easy. Mobile DJ Network is best known for the lowest price option.

National Association of DJs are currently offering their Pro membership at the discounted rate of £40/year, which means you also get a few extras in terms of the networking from the organisation etc.

For equipment insurance, shop around, and most importantly, read *all* of the small print.

When I was looking for cover, there's lots of companies offering what looks like a good deal, but when you read the small print, you quickly realise that in most real life cases, the insurance won't actually cover you, because their requirements are very difficult to adhere to.

I personally use Insure4Music - I found their terms were more in keeping with reasonable steps I could take to secure my equipment.

Once you've read the small print, you are then aware of what situations your equipment is then insured, so you can ensure it's compliant with their requirements. Otherwise, in the unfortunate case of needing you to use, you may find you weren't actually covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
    Yes, another question if I may.

We're getting dangerously close to being ready for taking our first booking now. (The danger of actually getting a booking would be nice too. ) We've got the PAT testing done now and thankfully there was only one lighting failure, so that just leaves the PLI ... and maybe some kind of equipment insurance.

I have found various cheap options for PLI insurance and various slightly more expensive options with higher levels of cover. Then we wondered if there might be a company who have a combined PLI and general equipment insurance cover. Does such a thing exist? I couldn't find anything so I suspect not. But then I thought the good people of the MDD might have a suggestion or two for something along these lines.

Thanks for any info.

John.
    There are several options, some very expensive, some not so.

***DISCLAIMER*** I'm not an insurance expert and am not qualified to advise on insurance or financial products. Please do your own research into the companies mentioned below and any others to make sure they fit what YOUR circumstances need

(Think that's covered me and the lads that run this place. Basically....I'm not recommending or selling anything to you but if any of the Mods want to change anything....be my guest)

Expensive option: DJGuard/MusicGuard. Can be funny with what they cover and where things are stored. I've also heard stories (although have no first hand experience of this) that they can be tricky to get money out of. When I was with them I had to jump through hoops just to get cover in the first place for my secure and monitored storage unit (including letters from the company that provides the unit, photos of the security arrangements etc).

Cheaper/possibly most popular option at the moment: MDJN (Mobile DJ Network). Look for the website, not the Facebook group. This one suits my personal circumstances in that they cover me for storing in a secure storage unit away from home and overnight in the van if needs be so long as the kit's out of sight. The policy gives you £10million PLI and £7k kit insurance (there are exemptions). I top up the equipment insurance with my storage company's own policy.

There's also the option of approaching Hencilla (the people who underwrite several of the policies including AMPDJ's PLI policy and I believe NADJ's). This way you get something which is tailored to exactly what you need.

Just my opinions. Like I say, I'm not qualified to advise on such matters so I'll leave you to do your own research. Hopefully the above will point you towards something you can look at though.

Thank you rth and Imagine.

Again, I appreciate your comprehensive replies.

The PLI is obviously a must, but I've never had cover for any disco gear over the many years I've been doing discos - and part of me says that I am not going to bother now, but my other half says it would be a good idea and I cannot dispute that. It also just so happens that I've never had any need for equipment cover as nothing ever got badly broken or stolen, etc. I've been lucky in that regard.

With two recommendations to look into the MDD I will certainly look into these. But the other points about DJGuard and MusicGuard being on the funny side regarding what they cover and where things are stored, I can only imagine. My other half's parents are currently going through a claim regarding some damaged property they let out and I am seeing first hand exactly how they are (seemingly) doing everything they can to get out of paying up.

OK. A lot of reading is needed for this and a good night's sleep will surely help. First stop in the morning will be MDD.

Thanks again.

... and of course by MDD I mean MDJN.

A lot of reading in there but just to say thanks again for the info. I think it's clear that MDJN is a likely contender for our needs. It's good to see that you can get the PLI and other insurance combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
    ... and of course by MDD I mean MDJN.

A lot of reading in there but just to say thanks again for the info. I think it's clear that MDJN is a likely contender for our needs. It's good to see that you can get the PLI and other insurance combined.
    Please check the insurance "excess". One provider quoted a £500 "excess". i.e. they do not pay out the first £500 of any claim.

"Only the named member above is covered by this PLI/ELI policy. The policy will provide an indemnity to qualifying individuals only and it is the responsibility of the vendor to ascertain proof of qualifying membership and is subject to the policy terms and conditions and a £500 excess."

Zog.
    Last edited by Zog; 03-08-2023 at 07:48 AM.