Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I used to be a machine ?

Default Did I used to be a machine ?

I am sat here in genuine disbelief.

Like everyone August has been manic. In all honesty I genuinely have done far too much and with similar work levels might take on extra cover for September and October.

BUT, what has really amazed me is this hasn’t been my busiest ever August – 2017 was busier, albeit not by a lot, but still busier. Yet I can’t recall ever feeling this knackered back then.

Did I used to be a machine, or have the last 4 years taken their toll?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I am the same.

I look back at times when I did 3 weddings back to back (Sept 2016). The middle of the three events was an all day event.

There were also times when I would do an event in Hampshire one day, travel down to the Isle of Wight overnight and do an all day wedding there the next day.

I look back now and wonder how I did it.

This weekend, I did two evening only weddings back to back, and I'm knackered from it.

Lockdown has certainly slowed me down and reduced my desire to end up "busy" again like before.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I am the same.

I look back at times when I did 3 weddings back to back (Sept 2016). The middle of the three events was an all day event.

There were also times when I would do an event in Hampshire one day, travel down to the Isle of Wight overnight and do an all day wedding there the next day.

I look back now and wonder how I did it.

This weekend, I did two evening only weddings back to back, and I'm knackered from it.

Lockdown has certainly slowed me down and reduced my desire to end up "busy" again like before.
    I have 3 back to back all day weddings at the end of September (due to postponements) and dreading it.

Evening only I have no problem with and had a good run end of July and beginning of August, throw in an all dayer and it takes me a week to recover now.

Yeah, at times I long for the days I just had discos on Friday, Saturday and maybe Sunday. I thought I was working hard back then, jeez. (This isn't a good thing either but thankfully it's calming down now).
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

While I would dearly love to say that you young 'uns are are soft and pampered, I'd grudgingly have to say that a recent stressful weekend wiped me out totally, so I think we're probably all a bit out of condition/practice.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I limit the amount of work I take on so I'm not bursting my pan. I'm out tomorrow then Saturday but that's it for doublers for a long time.

I've got one or two midweeks on the cards due to covid moves but after that I'm sticking strictly to weekends and school holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    I limit the amount of work I take on so I'm not bursting my pan. I'm out tomorrow then Saturday but that's it for doublers for a long time.

I've got one or two midweeks on the cards due to covid moves but after that I'm sticking strictly to weekends and school holidays.
    I really don't know how you do it, having a job and DJing.

I done it for years in the early days but couldn't imagine going back to a job and DJing any more. One thing I thought may have had to happen due to covid, but glad it hasn't.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I'm finding that it's not the fall that kills me, but the sudden stop on the end.

If I've had gigs a few days in a row, I find that I'm OK. I've been working out three times a week too, so if one of those sessions fall on my non-event days, all is good. Even the all-day photo gigs I'm feeling fine (and I tend to leave at about 11pm - call me biased, but I like the party part of the day).

But if I have a day off where there is no 'proper' physical activity, I start Googling how I could get referred to DIGNITAS.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I really don't know how you do it, having a job and DJing.
    Work colleagues ask me the same. My answer is I spend about 12 hours a week in my built in hot tub decompressing. There's a mobile DJ Mag article out there about it

On a more serious note. I now limit the amount I do. Simple as that. I used to do 40+ weddings a year and was burning myself out so I pulled well back.

If we're lucky enough to have kid's that will factor in and my career trajectory is also looking like I'll be reigning things in down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Work colleagues ask me the same. My answer is I spend about 12 hours a week in my built in hot tub decompressing. There's a mobile DJ Mag article out there about it

On a more serious note. I now limit the amount I do. Simple as that. I used to do 40+ weddings a year and was burning myself out so I pulled well back.

If we're lucky enough to have kid's that will factor in and my career trajectory is also looking like I'll be reigning things in down the line.
    Not surprised you are pulling back.

One of the most difficult things I found during restrictions was having to work 5 days a week again, really take my hat off to those working full time and djing too.

I done it for years but much prefer having 4/5 days off a week.