Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: My Denon Prime 4 Journey

Personally I think the Denon and Numark offerings are still about 2 year to be developed. Bought both and sent both back
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Personally I think the Denon and Numark offerings are still about 2 year to be developed. Bought both and sent both back
    I've only had it for hours. If Wayne can teach me how to create databases/playlists, this thing is going to be a game changer for me. I can however see where you're coming from Chris.

Hard to believe, but already I'm half heartedly looking at the Numark.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Default Reinventing the wheel.

For " Wheel" read " Cortex". My poor stoical, long suffering Fenland Friend is currently guiding my steps on the path/fingers on the keyboard, and in truth, it's just like preparing media for the Cortex. Trouble is, they use words I don't understand, and there isn't a big button saying " press this to create a database".

Wayne is advising me on The True Path ( cos without it, apparently nothing talks to anything else ) and I think I'm making progress. The home PC is slowly analysing the drive I created, and amazingly, a single SD card I have is carrying 90% of everything except Promo Only. Wow!

As I told Wayne last night, I'm genuinely excited by this. A gentleman currently sunning himself on a Turkish beach is saying: I told you that standalone was the future ages ago. Yes Andy, I think you were/are right.

Except for the torture that is Karaoke, so the lappy and VDJ will be around for a while to come, I feel.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 03-10-2022 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    For " Wheel" read " Cortex".
    How many years ago was the cortex released ? Apart from the rubbish screen it done the job and really these new machines haven't progressed all that much if you think about it.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

How many years ago was the cortex released ? Apart from the rubbish screen it done the job and really these new machines haven't progressed all that much if you think about it.
    ...and they both run Linux under the covers 😉

Cynicism aside, the new machines have WiFi, Bluetooth, access streaming services on the fly and also support dmx without any additional devices. They have performance pads, they don't warp the song tempo if you have keylock enabled, and they don't crap themselves if your file isn't 100% compatible...

Rose tinted glasses off, the concept is the same but the Cortex was definitely not perfect.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    ...and they both run Linux under the covers 

Cynicism aside, the new machines have WiFi, Bluetooth, access streaming services on the fly and also support dmx without any additional devices. They have performance pads, they don't warp the song tempo if you have keylock enabled, and they don't crap themselves if your file isn't 100% compatible...

Rose tinted glasses off, the concept is the same but the Cortex was definitely not perfect.

Julian
    No the Cortex wasn't perfect, and yes it was basic, but for some of us, basic was good. The newer machines have bells and whistles, some of which are awesome, but I think Chris is saying that basically, the new ones are just the old ones with bigger screens and better buttons. In some ways it's a valid argument.

How long were we told that a new improved HD2500 was imminent? I'd say it's taken over ten years to arrive. ( And it still won't read NTFS).

No the Cortex wasn't perfect, and yes it was basic, but for some of us, basic was good. The newer machines have bells and whistles, some of which are awesome, but I think Chris is saying that basically, the new ones are just the old ones with bigger screens and better buttons. In some ways it's a valid argument.
    The current Prime series aren't perfect, but they're getting better on an almost weekly basis.
    And to be fair to Denon's devs (as an ex-software engineer myself), the vast majority of the problems I see online are down to what's known as error code ID-10t. Let's face it...even YOU were trying to cut corners last night until I showed you the error of your ways

As an ex-dev of Windoze base systems, I also compare them to Excel....the majority of users only just scrape the surface of what it's capable of doing (and then they do it wrong )

And it still won't read NTFS.
    Nope, and neither will your car stereo, DVD player, mobile phone (including Apple), washing machine, gas boiler, TV, and any number of other household electronics, the majority of which have Unix or Linux at their core. In fact the only screens I've ever seen MS embedded into lately are the self-checkouts at the store where "every little helps", and they're running an obsoleted version (Embedded XP last time I saw one rebooting!)

NTFS is an MS proprietary file system. Being a proprietary system, it's subject to massive licensing costs which if the likes of Denon included in the deal, would make the Prime series a LOT more expensive.

There are far too many reasons to list here as to why NTFS isn't used. Maybe one day when I've got a couple of hours spare, I'll give you a call and explain them

What's amazing me though is that I've gone for 26 hours now without a support call!
    See...I said you'd soon get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    NTFS is an MS proprietary file system. Being a proprietary system, it's subject to massive licensing costs which if the likes of Denon included in the deal, would make the Prime series a LOT more expensive.
    OK, I'm curious now. Linux can mount ntfs drives, it's been able to for decades, though the ACL side of things is ignored. Ntfs isn't licensed or even patented by Microsoft. The lack of ntfs support makes me think its a deliberate design decision, probably on the basis that fat32 is good enough and that everybody else does the same.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

What's amazing me though is that I've gone for 26 hours now without a support call!
    See...I said you'd soon get used to it
    It's been 26 hours analysing the Drive!

Next questions, how to make a playlist, and how to use Automix ( if that exists on the Prime).

It's been 26 hours analysing the Drive!

Next questions, how to make a playlist, and how to use Automix ( if that exists on the Prime).
    I see, no response on here so turn up at my house with new toy and let me show you how to use it lol!