Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My Denon Prime 4 Journey

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    How Does sound switch deal with static scenes for first dances ? i like to spot the couple with moving heads or leave hearts on the floor near.
    It has "static" scenes which you can manually trigger and set everything to a certain look.
    I use these for first dances to set the colours, hearts/stars etc. and then turn them off to let SS do its thing with the scripts once the first dance is done and dusted.

Ah that's handy. i do have the micro USB so might go back to this. currently torn between SS or the wolfmix. want something that does different stuff without me having to trigger it or spend too long on QLC+ adding trigger points to songs
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

All I can say is give it a go - you'll be surprised.

I've programmed static scenes for things like games lighting for the kids parties, first dance and slow dance static scenes, and left the rest at the moment to auto scripting (you'll have to auto script every song in your library which can take forever). For anything that's not auto scripted there's also something called auto-loops which kick in when a track hasn't got a lighting script.

I'm actually astounded by the power of SS. I'd tried it when it first came out and it seemed too complicated to get my head around (it's different from anything else). But the difference in even my basic lighting show with SS compared to LightKey which I've been using for years is worlds apart!

OK, revisiting a very old thread but hey-ho...

I've finally got a proper flight case for my Prime 4 instead of a soft shell....and it feels so much more secure.

The downside....it's blimmin' big and heavy (it has WHEELS!). I opted for the OdysseyUSA case which set me back a lot of pennies and weighs in at just under a metric tonne! (I kid you not). By the way, the first thing I did was to remove the sliding shelf because you can't see the built in screen with it in place unless it's fully extended...which means it's about 6 feet from front to back.

But, it's now completely pre-wired with two mic kits (handheld for weddings, head mount for kids parties) plus a desk lamp, and when setting up for a gig has just a single 13a socket to plug in, plus the XLRs for the PA....job's a good-un. It's literally 30 seconds to remove the lid and plug it in.

But now I'm going to have to make changes to the setup to accommodate it. Whilst it sort of fits onto the Combi booth (just....there's an overhang), and nicely fits onto the folding event table I use behind the rustic booth, I really fear the day I have to put it onto the Equinox booth (the cross bars are already bent out of shape). Plus, because of the space underneath it, it raises the P4 just a little too high for comfortably working on.

And then last week, I had a sort of epiphany....why use the built in shelves of these things at all? Why not just use them as a facade and put the P4 in all its glory onto something more solid. Yup - a keyboard stand's on its way to me next week and should do the job nicely....and save even more weight in the van and burn less diesel

Steady now. You're not that many steps away from having a DJ console!

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Or a coronary! I'm happy to accept that 18" active subs are heavy, but a playout that's too big and heavy for a stand? Blimey, I can carry my laptop over my shoulder, VMS in one hand, and DMX controller/radio mic box in the other. You're really not selling the Denon to me, even though I had a very hard look at the Denon GO.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    It's being considered - but no in the way you're thinking

I'm still a fan of having something a little more substantial looking to repel boarders (my taller than normal rustic facade is brilliant at stopping the drinks waving brigade as it's too tall for them to lean on!)

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Or a coronary! I'm happy to accept that 18" active subs are heavy, but a playout that's too big and heavy for a stand? Blimey, I can carry my laptop over my shoulder, VMS in one hand, and DMX controller/radio mic box in the other. You're really not selling the Denon to me, even though I had a very hard look at the Denon GO.
    To be fair, I've not yet tried it on the Equinox booth in the flight case. I've also not actually weighed the flightcase with everything in it (might be a fun thing to do).
    As heavy as it is though, it's wheeled, and EVERYTHING needed for playout is inside it. Despite the weight, it shaves around 5 mins off the setup and derig time (I was out of the venue in 25 minutes last night and wasn't in a particular hurry as warm as it was!)

As for the GO - keep looking at it (or even the cheaper Numark MixStream Pro - it's basically the Prime 2 in a nasty plastic case with a cheap "monitor" speaker built in). It would have been ideal in the venue I was in last night (coupled with a pair of Maui5Gos)....the limiter looked a bit like a Christmas tree as times

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    To be fair, I've not yet tried it on the Equinox booth in the flight case. I've also not actually weighed the flightcase with everything in it (might be a fun thing to do).
    As heavy as it is though, it's wheeled, and EVERYTHING needed for playout is inside it. Despite the weight, it shaves around 5 mins off the setup and derig time (I was out of the venue in 25 minutes last night and wasn't in a particular hurry as warm as it was!)
    I'm still trying to find a reason to go the Prime route. I've had a DDJ-SX before so I know how heavy these things can get in their flight cases. As nice as it was, and as pretty as it looked, it didn't do anything that the Denon MC6000 can't do, and I have the controller, DMX interface, 2 wireless DMX transmitters, 2 radio mic receivers and all of the power supplies in a case that I can pick up with one hand and can fit in a micron booth. Laptop goes in the backpack along with headphones and 6 mics and setup takes minutes with powercon and XLR's in/out on the outside of the case.

So yeah.... Still not sold I'm afraid. I'm not resistant to change, I just can't find a reason to spend the money and make the move in this direction.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    it didn't do anything that the Denon MC6000 can't do, and I have the controller, DMX interface, 2 wireless DMX transmitters, 2 radio mic receivers and all of the power supplies in a case that I can pick up with one hand and can fit in a micron booth. Laptop goes in the backpack along with headphones and 6 mics and setup takes minutes with powercon and XLR's in/out on the outside of the case.
    Albeit the Mk2, I'm in the same boat - I cannot see any reason for me to change my Denon controller. It's an excellent bit of kit and just does everything.

The Prime still feels like a step back - there are many things I can do quicker on my setup than the Prime for example.

I got the swan flight case and I'm not trying to be macho man randy savage here but it's easily a one arm carry.

I've seen folks on the DJ forums use the soft case and I don't know how they can be ok with that, flight case all day long!
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk