Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: I wouldn't play that if you.... Oh hang on...

Default I wouldn't play that if you.... Oh hang on...

During the course of last night one of a handful of must play tunes was Rock n Roll Part 2 by The Glitter Band. A rammed floor soon emptied when the penny dropped, but at least I didn't get booed or anything nasty.

Of course I had a premonition it might not be well received by some but thought it wasn't worth arguing the toss over.

What's your take on artists whose work is no longer deemed acceptable? Me, I generally regard the person & their crimes separate from their work & don't run into many dilemmas.

If we all worked along the lines of "so and so's been a naughty boy/girl" for whatever reason, there wouldn't be an awful lot left to play.

That said, someone requested Ignition last night and as he was asking, the woman behind him in the request queue started having a right go and insisting it shouldn't be played (it wasn't played as it wasn't that type of night). It can be a bit of a minefield at times.

Basically anyone who gets married in [Admin edit: rest of post removed... see Rule 21]
    Last edited by Admin; 05-10-2021 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Rule 21
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Tbh what did you think would happen when you played a Gary Glitter tune?

Anecdotes about stars from the 70s getting up to no good are one thing but he's currently in jail and prior to Saville was probably the most famous convicted paedophile in the UK.

Ignition can do one too. There's plenty of other tunes you can use to get through a night.

When this come on in the cinema: -

I was all for walking out... looked about and nobody else seemed to care. I Googled it and saw that he didn't get any royalties, so stayed for the end of the film... glad I did, too, great film! And this is an iconic scene, that (IMHO) wouldn't be the same without that track.
    Last edited by Marc J; 05-10-2021 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Tbh what did you think would happen when you played a Gary Glitter tune?

Anecdotes about stars from the 70s getting up to no good are one thing but he's currently in jail and prior to Saville was probably the most famous convicted paedophile in the UK.

Ignition can do one too. There's plenty of other tunes you can use to get through a night.
    Exactly what did happen & I treated it as an experiment.

When I started up again I was working for someone else & got asked to play Rolf Harris tracks at a couple of weddings. I argued with my conscience for a bit & I was surprised to see people didn't care. They actually seemed to enjoy them.