Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Elusive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I had actually considered maybe I wasn't impressing enough - but to then get enquiries saying I DJ'd at xxxxx wedding and they gave them my details, makes me question it more lol.

Ahh, giving away a free service (ie video) will make a massive difference. To be honest I think I must be one of the minority of DJs not to do night time photography for free (or in simple terms taking 100+ decent photos and giving them away for free), but maybe something to look into but I am simply there to play music and make a few announcements.

Maybe it is a case of ask, then maybe ask again, just more emails etc to send.
    Chris I used to make little compilation videos which I'd recorded for my own promo stuff anyway & I'd get emails back thanking me for the nice touch... But still no better a review. So now I don't bother

As for DJs who go out into the crowd to take 100s of shots of the dancing all night, SHOULDN'T THEY ACTUALLY BE DJING?! I nip out to take some now & again (and revel in how frickin sweet my lighting looks from that side) but not the volume I know a couple of djs do. Jees.

Heck, if sending couples free bottles of prosecco & choccies doesn't make them love you any extra by all accounts...

Maybe it is 'just one of them things'. I'd love to crack it like 2 of my mates seem to have though. I mean it hardly eats me up inside or make me lose any sleep but damn it'd be lovely to get a few waxing lyrical like that. Or is my ego big enough already?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    We're getting pestered, harangued and HARASSED to give feedback about all sorts of services now so I'm not surprised people aren't falling over themselves to leave reviews. Buy a flipping pencil from Amazon & they'll send you emails NAGGING you to wax lyrical about how amazing the experience was.

Anyway, they came up to thank you for a job well done as you were packing down, ISN'T THAT ENOUGH?

Seriously though, I don't have any answers here. A mate of mine tried a certain seminar giving DJ's tips on getting clients to worship the ground you walk on. No discernible change in customer behaviour. "Oooo free stuff! That's nice....".

Maybe the key is to not just exceed customer expectations but 'blow them away'. This probably varies from simply showing up on time to saving a bride's parents' life while leading a conga around the venue handing out free drinks.

Some gigs, I'm glad I didn't receive reviews for . Imagine last week's bride had left one including the snide comment about them having picked ,'most of the music'. Noooooo! :Lol:

It bugs the life out of me how two of my mates in particular don't just get reviews. They get multi paragraph tomes from couples basically outlining how god-like they were. Unprompted apparently. And yet, they're not doing that different a job to me. Different people in slightly different demographics though..... Mind, both do have such a gift of the gab.... You've either got it, or you don't?
    North East Wedding DJ - www.stevenmaddison.co.uk - TWIA Regional Finalist 2019 & 2020 - The Wedding Business Awards Wedding DJ of the year (North East Region)

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Make it as easy as possible for people to leave a review.

In your case, Chris, send them to https://search.google.com/local/writ...kgRs6GAvNCNwF0

Peter: https://www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk/review

Have these on QR Codes if you like (everyone's used to them, now).... point at them when the drunk happy folks are all over you at the end of the night... just don't have them prominently on display or you'll get regular reviews from folks whose requests you didn't play!
    Marc, I'm sure that's a damn fine idea, but I'll have to get the IT department involved with that. BTW, one of the " well lubricated " young ladies has just emailed to apologise, and say she thought she had already done so. I will let everyone know, if/when it actually appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post

It might be that they just don't like me as a person. Heck, I don't even like me as person half the time

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post

Ahh, giving away a free service will make a massive difference. .
    Wash your mouth out with soap!!!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

It's not something I've done myself, but have often kicked myself for not doing it.

But getting a video review of the couple at the end of the night would capture that 'end of night' high that can't be recreated.

I've seen some videos taken round the couples house after the event - but there's something about a bride and groom in their wedding outfits that just makes the video pop a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    It's not something I've done myself, but have often kicked myself for not doing it.

But getting a video review of the couple at the end of the night would capture that 'end of night' high that can't be recreated.

I've seen some videos taken round the couples house after the event - but there's something about a bride and groom in their wedding outfits that just makes the video pop a bit more.
    That's too intrusive for my liking.

At the end of the night I work the room and make sure I get a chat with at least the bride or groom to make sure they're happy but it feels like crossing a line. Apart from that, a tonne of my feedback revolves around everything I've done around the gig, getting them at the end of the night all they're going to focus on was the actual gig part which, let's call a spade a spade, "the dancefloor was packed and we had a great night." is the bare minimum you'd expect from even a moderately competent DJ.

Well I've come home from my last ever delivery shift tonight and found THREE 5* reviews from different couples from recent weeks on different platforms.
    Makes a nice change

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Well I've come home from my last ever delivery shift tonight and found THREE 5* reviews from different couples from recent weeks on different platforms.
    Makes a nice change
    "Quality reverse parking, brought my messages in pronto" I jest. Congrats on finishing up

I've just received a few bits on YT videos from guests for the first time ever. Bit strange and unexpected but I'll take it.

To go back to what I said a while back about doing everything that little bit better. I keep track of ALL sorts on DJEP notes. A girl has just squared off her balance and I was able to get back saying thanks, I'll be in touch to go over your final plans in a few weeks and tell X (mum) and Y (dad) I'm looking forward to seeing them again, I've got the Quo locked and loaded for big Dougie!"

I met the parents about 2 years ago at a wedding they were attending "Ooh you're the guy that's doing our daughters wedding." so I had a chat with them and took a couple of notes about them and the stuff they liked across the evening. Even tiny little things like that make a big difference to their perception of you without having to have 3 hour long meetings with them to eck out every detail of their life.

If you ask in passing what they do for a job or where they're going on honeymoon, drop it into a conversation during the night or as part of your on the mic stuff. I do TONNES of teacher and cop weddings who always have colleagues there so part of my opening spiel at the start about filiming them goes something like:

"If you don't want to be filmed, for ANY reason. say for example you're a copper and don't like being online, or you're a copper and want to get absolutely smashed tonight, or you're a copper and have told the brass you're self isolating this week.... blah blah blah." Really simple little things like that to show you're invested in that couple and crowd elevates you above I'd say 90% of the DJs out there that can't be bothered and it takes next to no effort at all.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    - but there's something about a bride and groom in their wedding outfits that just makes the video pop a bit more.
    Most of my couples have had too much pop to be a creditable review. And the twice promised review from the very well lubricated hen party organiser? In the words of Diana Ross: I'm still waiting.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 13-10-2021 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Most of my couples have had too much pop to be a creditable review. And the twice promised review from the very well lubricated hen party organiser? In the words of Diana Ross: I'm still waiting.
    Do you chase them up for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    The hen has promised it twice, I have contacted her on each occasion. At the end of the night, assuming they have come through lead generation sites ( which very many of my bookings do ) I tell them that the site will be in touch to ask for a review.

If they don't give a review, I tend not to push the matter, lest they feel pressured and leave a less than glowing review. I'd rather have it come of their own volition. On one particular site, I have over twenty reviews with every category five stars. I don't want to lower the average, if you can understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Short answer, no. Whether that's right or wrong, I honestly don't know.