Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Outgoing PMs not working

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Stage Discos View Post
    Still not sure how this came to be marked as 'Off' as PMs *were* working fine, Sent Items too.
    By default it should be set to save sent items. The only people who can change that are yourself and mods / admins.

ETA: Not true, seems default setting is not to save!
    Last edited by Marc J; 25-10-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J View Post
    Without knowing what you did, I'm afraid I have no idea what was wrong. Probably user error, it always is

Excuse me! That's my speciality.

Not sure why you tested the PM system with a reply here, that would send you an email (if subscribed to the topic), not a PM. I think you may be getting your terminology confused?
    He should get an email, I think. I remember enabling that.

Twas a bit of fun - and, yes, I actually thought I had posted a PM. Must be my old age getting the better of me.
    You did post a PM.

And another one

And another one.

By default it should be set to save sent items. The only people who can change that are yourself and mods / admins.
    I think Marc, you found some other settings than I did. Yours look better.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Hate to say it, but I just posted a PM to another member and it didn't send - as far as I can see. At least there is no copy in my Sent Items. "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default" is still checked.

Hate to say it, but I just posted a PM to another member and it didn't send - as far as I can see. At least there is no copy in my Sent Items. "Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default" is still checked.
    Ah. I can see a hiccup here. You can PM Marc and me because we're management. Obviously we're struggling with the rank and file. Oh poo!

Maybe the recipient doesn't allow PMs?

Try sending me a PM. If you don't mind, let me know who you're trying to sent to, as well, I can check it out...

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Ah. I can see a hiccup here. You can PM Marc and me because we're management. Obviously we're struggling with the rank and file. Oh poo!
    Not the problem. Everything checks out OK with the user account and group.
    Last edited by Marc J; 24-10-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Maybe the recipient doesn't allow PMs?
    Certainly a possibility.

Not the problem. Everything checks out OK with the user account and group.
    Loath as I am to gainsay the Oracle: I thought that was a very likely reason*.

* Note how I haven't said Marc is wrong, simply that I thought I could very easily be right. A bright future in politics obviously beckons for me. Most folk might think that when it comes to I.T, they know who they'd put their money on, and it wouldn't be me!

Most folk might think that when it comes to I.T, they know who they'd put their money on, and it wouldn't be me!
    You and anything that's not powered by steam and radio valves

Sorry...I'll fetch my coat before the ban hammer falls

Oh bring back valves PLEASE! Far more reliable than this modern stuff. I still have a 1960s valve radio which works - and works well!

Will try a PM to Marc now.

Just testing this further now, but the reason for failures escapes me... scraping the barrel for possibilities now!

Lengthy PMs failing - test a shorter one. A new one, not a reply. There are a lot of security rules around the text in messages (forum posts and PMs) and the longer it is the more likely it is to trigger a rule.

PMs between members is allowed regardless of user group / post count etc. I've sent you (John) a test PM from a test account (this one), feel free to reply to that or send a new PM to it to test.

ETA: It seems save sent items to sent folder is off by default. As far as I can see that's just how it is, needs to be turned on by the user.
    Last edited by Marc J; 25-10-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks Marc. Will check your PM now.

These things happen. Servers can be temperamental, etc. It's almost certainly just one of those temporary glitches we have little control over. I have problems elsewhere, Ebay for instance gives me loads of grief. I lost access to my Facebook accounts (personal and business) for a week recently. No reason, but it works again now. The fact that this issue is intermittent may say something. We have to expect these things from time to time. Thanks again marc.