Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Volume risk assessment

Default Volume risk assessment

Has anyone had to supply anything like this?

I've got a party booked for saturday, there will be about 350 students in a big hall. The organiser sent me this message today:

"Do you have any controls or limits on volume? I've been asked to add something regarding noise levels and people's hearing if they are attending the party. Any measures you have concerning this would be gratefully received!"

I think they must mean some kind of volume risk assessment. Any ideas?

My sound system consists of 2 subs and 2 tops, I think it's underpowered for a massive hall, so I don't think there's any risk to hearing, unless someone decides to put their ears right in front of the speakers for a considerable time.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

"Dear [Client],

If people are screaming into each other's ears to be heard, I turn the volume down. If I can hear your guests speaking over the music, I turn it up. From there, I just find the sweet spot.

Beyond that, it's up to the individual to move away if they find the volume uncomfortable, and you can rest assured that my speakers won't follow them in an antagonistic way."

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    "Dear [Client],

If people are screaming into each other's ears to be heard, I turn the volume down. If I can hear your guests speaking over the music, I turn it up. From there, I just find the sweet spot.

Beyond that, it's up to the individual to move away if they find the volume uncomfortable, and you can rest assured that my speakers won't follow them in an antagonistic way."
    That is the sensible answer.

If only these people were sensible!

I've got a problem as the night goes on and the dance floor fills I seem to ramp up the volume without realising quite how loud it getting, sometimes I go out front at those times and think I better turn that down a notch or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Disco View Post
    I've got a problem as the night goes on and the dance floor fills I seem to ramp up the volume without realising quite how loud it getting, sometimes I go out front at those times and think I better turn that down a notch or two.
    I read years ago that the human ear has a buit in "attenuator". When exposed to loud noise over a long period, the ears/brain "turn it down". Even though it's still the same level, it sounds quieter. That's why it makes sense to start quietly, and build over the course of the event.

However: I hear what you say. I have done the same myself sometimes!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I read years ago that the human ear has a buit in "attenuator"

Tensor tympani muscle is your friend.

Not quick enough in it's reaction to protect against loud transients.