Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: PowerCON to IEC adapter?

Default PowerCON to IEC adapter?

Hi folks,
    I just bought a new light and it has PowerCon In and Out. The problem here is, all of my other gear is standard IEC. I didn't notice when buying. This is annoying as it seems I will have to get some kind of adapters. The adapters seem very pricey

Can anyone offer any advice on a solution for daisy changing this light to standard IEC power ins and out?
    Much Thanks
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Darnfatruler View Post
    Hi folks,
    I just bought a new light and it has PowerCon In and Out. The problem here is, all of my other gear is standard IEC. I didn't notice when buying. This is annoying as it seems I will have to get some kind of adapters. The adapters seem very pricey

Can anyone offer any advice on a solution for daisy changing this light to standard IEC power ins and out?
    Much Thanks
    Alan
    My ADJ kit annoys me like that - seems everything they do now has Powercon on it.

Depends on which way you're going, mine go from the Powercon fixture to the IEC fixture every time so I got some of these

Alan: Pricey? You're not kidding! My initial searches suggest you've found one of the cheaper ones!!

Wayne: I presume you also got some Powercon plugs for the other end of the cable.

My least worst suggestion is to work out exactly what flavour of leads you need, and how many, and either get busy with the wire strippers and screwdrivers, or ask a tame sparky to do it for you.

It's a fiddly job, but not beyond the capabilities of many folk. As always, we must point out that these cables carry 240volts, and if you're at all uncertain, leave it to a professional.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

the adapter in the original post is reasonably priced for a pre made one.

it is true-1, is the light you have blue (in) and white (out) powercon or true-1?
    you can buy just a powercon plug and stick it on the end of an existing iec and won't cost you more than a few quid but there are many variables to think about in terms of cable sizes=, skill level etc...

Hi all,
    Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.
    So seems options are either pony up and buy a pro cable or attempt to hack one together.

Imagine - yes, that is a pointer in the right direction. I think you are suggesting to take a normal power con cable and chop the end plug off and replace it with an IEC plug.

Excalibur - Yes, I was really surprised as thought Ebay or Amazon would be full of all kinds of solutions and options at reasonable prices. Yeah, fiddly doing the wiring. Think I could have a go at it, looks pretty straightforward. Purchase the plugs and cable and then wire them. Similar to when a tech needs cables of a certain length, they get wiring. This YouTube vid is useful.

Chris1984 -
    Yes, it is White (out) and Blue (in). That is an idea, to use an IEC double ended male / female cable and cut off the relevant end point and attach a PowerCon plug, such as this one for sale on Ebay.

Thank you,
    Alan

That is an idea, to use an IEC double ended male / female cable and cut off the relevant end point and attach a PowerCon plug, such as this one for sale on Ebay.

Thank you,
    Alan
    Play your cards right, and you can have two for the price of one/half the work. Buy a nice long iec-iec cable, cut it in the middle, and stick Powercons on each end. That will remove the need to wire the fiddly iec connectors, and leave only the really easy powercon. Two 5m for a tenner. Shorter ones are available and cheaper.

Exacalibur, I like that way of thinking! Nice solution for PowerCon to IEC and thanks for the link to CPC Farnel.
    Cheers,
    Alan

Exacalibur, I like that way of thinking! Nice solution for PowerCon to IEC and thanks for the link to CPC Farnel.
    Cheers,
    Alan
    Having had a think, I suspect 13amp to iec might suit you better, but the principle is the same. If you can navigate the CPC search facility, there will be something to suit you. Good luck.