Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Add ons and awkward conversations

Default Add ons and awkward conversations

OK, so this isn't strictly disco related, but I'm sure there's a few people here who can relate and may be able to provide advice.

I offer a photobooth package where I print a copy of the photo for every guest in the photo. I also offer an 'upgrade' where I provide a photo guestbook, pens, glue, etc and print an additional copy of the photo for the guestbook and assist the guests with sticking it in and make sure that the photos are on consecutive pages, not stuck in upside down, etc, etc. The upgrade is not expensive.

I'm finding more and more customers are of the mindset that they will provide the book and the pens and glue and guests can use their own copy for the book and they don't need to buy the upgrade.

From experience, it gets awkward on the night, with guests asking for additional copies for the book or assistance with glue, pens, etc and me having to say no and look like a over something as petty as a stick of glue or a single print.

I'm after advice from others on how to explain to customers the benefits of buying the upgrade, and tips on how to deflect guests on the night without ending up in the position where I have to say 'I can't, because the bride didn't want to pay for the upgrade'.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Is this based on your website pricing?

Are that many people really booking a 2 hour photo booth instead of a 3 hour photo booth that comes with the guest book?

I can't think of any booth I know offering a set up like that and it sounds like offering a cheaper alternative that way isn't working for you.

If it was me I wouldn't even offer a "base" service but if you do want a two tier approach why not offer digital only and all the bells and whistles photo album. Your problem is the packages on offer aren't differentiated enough. That would easily get rid of this halfway house problem.

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

Giving your customer too much choice is negative thing not only for you, but also the customer. This is the bit where I throw out that tired old line of "They don't know any better". Of course customers should have some choice, but when it comes to the difference between packages being a book and some prit-stick, just include the book and prit-stick as standard. If you're losing out on bookings because those two are included in the standard price, then I would suggest that there's a bigger problem.

This is the exact same reason why I have an issue with "Pay X and get these lights, plus you can pay Y and get those speakers." You're the expert, so you know what they need. They can still have a choice of whether to accept it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post
    Of course customers should have some choice, but when it comes to the difference between packages being a book and some prit-stick, just include the book and prit-stick as standard. If you're losing out on bookings because those two are included in the standard price, then I would suggest that there's a bigger problem.
    There's a long established practice of bulking out photobooth prices through add ons. Guestbooks, extra sets of prints, large format prints, custom designs, custom backdrops, etc are all considered to be 'acceptable' up-sells. While none of them are really that novel, offering choice is perceived to provide a better service.

It's all balls. It's really tricky to come up with a USP for photobooths as almost anyone can buy and run one with minimal skill.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    It's all balls. It's really tricky to come up with a USP for photobooths as almost anyone can buy and run one with minimal skill.
    I genuinely don't think you can - to a degree, it's now a commodity.

I'd suggest selling it as one package that gives them everything they need - your USP can be "no upsells" - others may have a low 'headline price', but by the time you've added on all the extras...

But as others have said, if the package you're selling isn't working for you, then don't offer it as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I genuinely don't think you can - to a degree, it's now a commodity.

I'd suggest selling it as one package that gives them everything they need - your USP can be "no upsells" - others may have a low 'headline price', but by the time you've added on all the extras...

But as others have said, if the package you're selling isn't working for you, then don't offer it as an option.
    I agree with the above. Talking to couples at wedding fayres etc, most are wise to upselling, tactics etc and merely want a price for the service they want and quite often the less choices the better.

If you speak to couples 'keeping it simple' is a big priority for most, especially when it comes to entertainment etc which they don't generally want to spend too much time looking at.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk