Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photobooths

Default Photobooths

Hi all,

I'm currently looking into starting Photobooths as a add-on / separate booking for dates where we don't have a gig on.

Does anyone on here have some start-up advise?

Would you say it's better to buy one of the packages online or DIY as much as you can (source own camera, laptop etc)?

TIA
    Nathan.

Loads of people are selling up at the moment so it's not a bad time to buy second hand.

Firstly it's worthwhile seeing which of the various products would be suitable for your business. Magic mirror/rustic heart/ inflatable, oval/ open plan etc... Logistics and how you'll staff it should be a major consideration.

We have two magic mirrors and two rustic heart photobooths. The hearts are much easier to send out with an attendant however the mirrors really need a van to transport around etc..
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Good time to buy as they are cheap as chips second hand

BUT

This means there is a reason so many are selling, and also the market will be swamped soon (if not already) with cheap photobooths to hire.

I have seen some booths going out and don't know how they cover costs never mind make a profit, then there are some which, like everything are just shocking.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

I looked into it and then got told in no uncertain terms by friends that have them not to bother.

As has already been mentioned, the market's saturated. That said, I don't think any of the weddings I did last year actually had a booth, and that's strange...maybe they'll go the way of the chocolate fountain.

A lot of the local operators are selling them off and those that aren't are going out for peanuts are travelling silly miles just to get a gig.

Thanks for your comments. I'm set on the oval style frame.

Most of the gigs we did last year, and the couple we've done this year have had booths.

I've been looking at different software options etc. It's looking better to custom build, or as mentioned grab a second hand one and upgrade where needed.
    Nathan.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post

Most of the gigs we did last year, and the couple we've done this year have had booths.

I've been looking at different software options etc. It's looking better to custom build, or as mentioned grab a second hand one and upgrade where needed.
    Genuine question and not a dig.

Why ask if photobooths are worth purchasing, everyone tells you no, but you still want to go ahead ?

I've saved fortunes listening to other people, and wasted a lot not listening.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Oval booths are the one that I'd say having a custom one gets you nothing. I'd suggest buying a setup ready to go and maybe look into a custom skin. It'll be an easy add on but oval booths generally have the lowest fee and most competition in the photobooth market.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Genuine question and not a dig.

Why ask if photobooths are worth purchasing, everyone tells you no, but you still want to go ahead ?

I've saved fortunes listening to other people, and wasted a lot not listening.
    The original question was if a pre-built or custom rig would be better.

Although people have said not worth much from their own experience / locations of work, I've seen booths at most of the gigs in 2021 (albeit only 6 months worth).
    Nathan.

The original question was if a pre-built or custom rig would be better.

Although people have said not worth much from their own experience / locations of work, I've seen booths at most of the gigs in 2021 (albeit only 6 months worth).
    Anyone who is making good money from booths won't be speaking up. As others have said, it's a crowded and competitive market at the moment so no-one is going to be keen for someone else to enter

If you're starting up there's a few things to learn about the software, hardware and photography involved. If you want to hit the ground running, buy a second hand booth that is working and then learn from what they've done. You'll also pay a lot less as most of the companies build from off the shelf components and inflate the prices (the worst example I've seen of this is one selling a greenscreen backdrop kit for £200 - when the exact same kit is £15 on eBay).

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Be aware if purchasing second hand that some software doesn't allow the license to be transferred - so the software will work "as is", but you won't be able to access any updates without purchasing the software again.

Also, check carefully the cost of paper - I've seen some say it has got quite expensive recently.

Finally, will you be manning the booth or leaving it unattended? Consider the costs of manning it - or the damage risks of it being unattended with drunk people.

However, I'm with others - I don't see a photobooth sideline as something that will "fill" your diary on the dates you're not doing the disco. You'll be effectively trying to market two different services, rather than focus on one. Sure, if you can see it as an easy upsell to your existing bookings, then I think it could be viable, but not if you're planning to market it as a standalone option.

Finally, yes, you might have seen photobooths at events you been at, but how were they booked? Until you know who they booked them through, then it's hard to determine if you have a route to market such a service.