Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bye bye DJ booth?

Default Bye bye DJ booth?

For a long time I'd contemplated ditching my DJ booth in favour of a console type affair now beloved of American wedding DJs like Nick Spinelli & Jason Jani.

So on New Year's Day I popped to B&Q and bought myself a sheet of 9mm plywood & had it ripped to various sizes.

Some time later....

There are loads of pros for it but the biggest is just how different it looks - not to mention clean & modern.

Cons - well there's lots of those too. The console itself is pretty heavy, but still only a couple of kg heavier than a Swan flightcase with laptop shelf loaded with the MC7000 etc. It definitely might not be very good at repelling boarders. And yes, drink spillage risk is an ever present demon but then it is with ANY DJ equipment isn't it?

I had it out for the first time last night & despite having only temporary transport storage (custom bags are on order) I absolutely LOVE how much it's improved visibility & accessibility. It's drawn a lot of positive comments from venue staff. The photographer last night said it's very nice but it's not a DJ booth is it? I said that's absolutely the point. It isn't a DJ booth - although I've got plans to make a few variations of a folding 'booth-type' affairs to rest the console in.

I'm still considering this an experiment for now - it remains to be seen how it'll cope with a very rowdy crowd.

So how's it made? All 9mm plywood glued & screwed (then filled) together, primed and either painted or covered with DC-Fix sticky back plastic (yes really). MC7000, podium LED strip & radio mic receiver are all powered from embedded power packs (no mains strip inside). Laptop charger & USB hub connections are led to the outside of the console. The laptop stand was originally black & the 35mm aluminium pole slots neatly into a 35mm tophat secured inside the console.

And yes it all comes apart for transport. In an ideal world I'd have access to a huge van or trailer with ramp that I can just wheel everything in & out of (and venues would never have any steps or tricky doors), but we don't live in an ideal world.

How does it go together? Simply slot parts on top of each other & secure a couple of butterfly latches (4 in total). I opted for these in favour of bolts & what have you because bolts or handwheel nuts etc can all too easily be dropped & misplaced. Butterfly latches are probably the most expensive aspect of the hardware I used. Total cost? Well under £250 (call it under £400 including sturdy padded bags), but absolute hours & hours (and hours) of filling, sanding, sanding & sanding.
    Attached Images
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Whenever I see something like this, my first question is always 'how heavy is the base?'

Very slick though

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Whenever I see something like this, my first question is always 'how heavy is the base?'

Very slick though

Julian
    When you're working with RCFs alongside you it's always very heavy

Ohhhh the BASE...

Not very heavy actually but it doesn't really have to be because of the centre of gravity n stuff. Or something. I've still got the option to add another layer onto the base to give it more surface area.

How long before some jealous Old Git says " all you need to do now, is get a stick rig PA, and gravity base stands, and it will be great"?

The visual aspect of the booth is simply stunning, but here's a serious question/suggestion. What about say a keyboard stand for the console to rest on, and something like those folding screens to put round it as a first line of defence for the livelier crowds?

The older I get, the more paranoid I get about folk walking into/damaging kit. In the good old days with Class D cabs, and a James H booth, it wasn't a problem!
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    How long before some jealous Old Git says " all you need to do now, is get a stick rig PA, and gravity base stands, and it will be great"?

The visual aspect of the booth is simply stunning, but here's a serious question/suggestion. What about say a keyboard stand for the console to rest on, and something like those folding screens to put round it as a first line of defence for the livelier crowds?

The older I get, the more paranoid I get about folk walking into/damaging kit. In the good old days with Class D cabs, and a James H booth, it wasn't a problem!
    My ancient folding screen is still with me & a plan is afoot to set some opal plastic into it..

As for stick PA, I'm thinking sod that & go 10" tops on gravity poles with a bin behind me

Btw I already use gravity stands Peter. Love them to bits but my back isn't a fan of adding a further 30kg to my trolley every gig

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    My ancient folding screen is still with me & a plan is afoot to set some opal plastic into it..
    You have options there.

As for stick PA, I'm thinking sod that & go 10" tops on gravity poles with a bin behind me
    Another option. It's surprising how much 10" tops can do, and when you add a sub/subs.................

Btw I already use gravity stands Peter. Love them to bits but my back isn't a fan of adding a further 30kg to my trolley every gig
    Andy Neen uses the smaller circular ones, not sure if they're lighter than my whopping square ones. Yet again an argument for stick rigs, I reckon, the only weight is the sub/subs.

Nice work already Sir, I'm sure you'll soon get the finishing touches done.

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    You have options there.

Another option. It's surprising how much 10" tops can do, and when you add a sub/subs.................

Andy Neen uses the smaller circular ones, not sure if they're lighter than my whopping square ones. Yet again an argument for stick rigs, I reckon, the only weight is the sub/subs.

Nice work already Sir, I'm sure you'll soon get the finishing touches done.
    I'd be tempted to go with a white ev evolve 50 system but the sheer cost is a sticking point. 3 grand would buy quite a lot of conventional PA

I'd be tempted to go with a white ev evolve 50 system but the sheer cost is a sticking point. 3 grand would buy quite a lot of conventional PA
    But £1500 would buy White Maui 11s. Nearly.

Sorry, late to the party.

Justin - I saw your post on FB the other day. For me it's like rustic booths....marmite (sorry!). I'm older than you (but nowhere NEAR as old as Peter) and can see it getting knocked over, drinks spilled on it, pint glasses and wine glasses rested on it, the mic easily snatched... Don't get me wrong....I love the look because it's different and "open", but at the same time it sends shudders down my elderly and sensible spine.

EXCELLENT craftsmanship by the way!

As for the PA.....I'm biased here having owned a pair of EV Evolve 50s for the past two years. They're now my absolute weapon of choice unless I'm in a marquee and even then it's a toss up these days between my Yammy system and those. They go just about everywhere with me and to date, I've NEVER managed to red-line them. Yes, they're a lot of money but my Gawd...you wouldn't be disappointed with them!