Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Is it wise to go backwards ?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Well when I've got haze on.
    I haven't used haze for 5 years now.

    The risk of setting off any fire alarm just didn't make it worthwhile for me.

    So that immediately limits how good my light look - meaning washes tend to have a better effect any way.
    I've also noticed a trend to point lights towards the ceiling and bounce off of that, rather than directly into the dancefloor, "blinding" the guests.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Durham, Co Durham
    Posts
    3,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I haven't used haze for 5 years now.

    The risk of setting off any fire alarm just didn't make it worthwhile for me.

    So that immediately limits how good my light look - meaning washes tend to have a better effect any way.
    I've also noticed a trend to point lights towards the ceiling and bounce off of that, rather than directly into the dancefloor, "blinding" the guests.
    When I started back doing this I was constantly saying everybody seemed to have forgotten all about wash & reflected light & that still hasn't changed much. Doing a gig without wash just reminds me of the bad old days when all the likes of me could afford were those leg warmers. Yes, disco light boxes on the floor. Leg warmers. They did bog all lighting up of any rooms unless you were on a high stage - and even then...

    Where I do most of my work right now though I have no choice but to aim my lights at the dancefloor - there's no ceiling or available walls to bounce light off - the ceiling is a glass roof

    There's no shame in ditching effects lighting in favour of simpler fixtures like wash. If it works for you I'd say go for it & more power to you. The only reason I still lug my movers etc around is for me I think. Everyone's always telling us to work smarter not harder - and carting less gear around is definitely smarter.

  3. #13
    Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I haven't used haze for 5 years now.

    The risk of setting off any fire alarm just didn't make it worthwhile for me.

    So that immediately limits how good my light look - meaning washes tend to have a better effect any way.
    I've also noticed a trend to point lights towards the ceiling and bounce off of that, rather than directly into the dancefloor, "blinding" the guests.
    ALL of my washes are aimed at the ceiling (normally a "tent") because it gives a better effect and actually "goes" further. It's only the gobos and dots that are aimed at the dance floor, and that applies as much to weddings as kids parties.

    For wash, I use a brace of ADJ Dotz Matrix...heavy as hell but programmed right they give a nice effect if you're looking at them. They WILL burn your retinas if you look directly into the chips though which is why they're always pointed skywards.

  4. #14
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    66
    Posts
    26,331

    Default

    To actually try to answer the original question, is it wise? I don't know about wise, but I can safely say that the one thing you must always have available is colour wash. Some venues have two settings for the lights- all on or all off.

    Anything else is a bonus, be it Derby, Scanner/Barrel/Moving head or Moonflower. My Powerbar goes out less simply because I have the most underrated and forgotten units, the Swarm Wash copies, the Hadrons. One unit contains Wash, Derby, Cluster laser, and small Strobe. I can use them on their own, or with other units.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  5. #15
    Jim - Scotland's Party DJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    My rig is very minimalist - an ADJ hex bar 6 and mini Dekker hanging off either speaker pole.

    Last night was my first gig in a bit and I did a little experiment off the back of this thread - I did have moonlighting doing some colour fading so that did add a bit of 'energy' to what was going on but later on when everyone was going mental and I was playing some dance stuff I kept the lights either on my first dance setting (white wash, slow movement from the deckers) or another similar low key look and it made not a jot of difference to what people were doing.

    That being said, as basic a set up as it is, it does look really nice for when the couple comes back into the room before the first dance "ooh it looks like stars not he ceiling" so I'm not going to give leave the deckers at home any time soon.

  6. #16
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    66
    Posts
    26,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    My rig is very minimalist - an ADJ hex bar 6 and mini Dekker hanging off either speaker pole.
    I take that on board, Jim, and I have much common ground with that idea. For many of my recent gigs, I have gone as minimal as possible on lighting.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    That being said, as basic a set up as it is, it does look really nice for when the couple comes back into the room before the first dance "ooh it looks like stars not he ceiling" so I'm not going to give leave the deckers at home any time soon.
    Now here I think is the important point. Not all functions are the same, nor do they need the same lighting. Small low key family parties may get little more than the Powerbar. Weddings get the Helix/Helices as a minimum, with some very bright par cans. Big hotel functions get lots of lights. Horses for courses.

    With regard to the original question, being religiously opposed to parting with too much wonga for new kit, I've just swapped my trusty old ( and very well used ) Powerbar for a really dinky COB Equinox one. It's way smaller and more portable than the old one. Similar light output though.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chester-le-Street
    Posts
    4,166

    Default

    Well last night I really did go 'back to basics'

    Micro Booth, 1 Evox and 4 par cans for an intimate wedding.

    Guess what ? I thought the bride was going to burst into tears as she described it as 'perfect' instead of the usual of being ignored, the venue asked about recommending me (not keen as access a bit of a nightmare) and this morning the brides sister booked me for her wedding.

    Just wish I had the balls to try it more often, although a normal size booth is preferable and never really like 1 speaker as think I would be classed as lazy if it went down.

  8. #18
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    66
    Posts
    26,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Well last night I really did go 'back to basics'

    Micro Booth, 1 Evox and 4 par cans for an intimate wedding.

    Guess what ? I thought the bride was going to burst into tears as she described it as 'perfect' instead of the usual of being ignored, the venue asked about recommending me (not keen as access a bit of a nightmare) and this morning the brides sister booked me for her wedding.

    Just wish I had the balls to try it more often, although a normal size booth is preferable and never really like 1 speaker as think I would be classed as lazy if it went down.
    You're really behind the curve here, Son. Since the arrival of the Polars, I've only used two at a gig a couple of times. Powerbar or par cans is a regular occurrence, ( and may be very regular if the new dinky powerbar works well ), but like you, the Micron is usually a last resort.

    Minimal is the flavour of the month*.


    * But obviously not for three hundred Young Farmers, tee hee. Horses for courses.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chester-le-Street
    Posts
    4,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    the Micron is usually a last resort.
    Main problem with the micro booth, and these podium style booths which are being introduced, is when you have a 'gentlemans figure' it just doesn't look right I think

    What micro bar did you purchase ? Been looking at the Chauvet 4 bar lt, mainly cause it is a doddle to control.

  10. #20
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    66
    Posts
    26,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Main problem with the micro booth, and these podium style booths which are being introduced, is when you have a 'gentlemans figure' it just doesn't look right I think

    What micro bar did you purchase ? Been looking at the Chauvet 4 bar lt, mainly cause it is a doddle to control.
    Equinox COB micro bar, because it's small, and Andy had it on clearance. If I read correctly, the Chauvet is down on power, at 36w against 80w of COB. ( Unless the Chauvet means 3watts per colour, thus 27w per can. )

    It's not built like the Thomann, but it's featherlight and unobtrusive. After one run out I'm happy enough. It only dims on static colours though.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 21-03-2022 at 04:11 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •