Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Gravity stands

  1. #1
    mbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    102

    Default Gravity stands

    Ive not posted for aaages!

    Finally got round to updating stuff, specifically speaker and lighting stands..

    Gravity stands.....mmmm

    What's everyones thoughts on them??

    Ta

  2. #2
    Imagine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ely, Cambridgeshire
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Ive not posted for aaages!

    Finally got round to updating stuff, specifically speaker and lighting stands..

    Gravity stands.....mmmm

    What's everyones thoughts on them??

    Ta
    One word - BRILLIANT

    Much, MUCH better than tripods by a very long way

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chester-le-Street
    Posts
    4,166

    Default

    I am in the minority here in that I don't like them UNLESS they are on show.
    If behind the booth etc I much prefer a tripod - easier, safer and looks the same, however if 'on show' the gravity stands do look more aesthetically pleasing.
    Then we come to the question of will people notice ................but best leave that for another topic lol

  4. #4
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    66
    Posts
    26,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    One word - BRILLIANT

    Much, MUCH better than tripods by a very long way
    Agreed totally.

    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I am in the minority here in that I don't like them UNLESS they are on show.
    If behind the booth etc I much prefer a tripod - easier, safer and looks the same, however if 'on show' the gravity stands do look more aesthetically pleasing.
    Then we come to the question of will people notice ................but best leave that for another topic lol
    With the greatest respect Chris:

    COBBLERS.
    The only time I would ever countenance tripods is as speaker stands, and since I only use Column speakers, or subs and tops, it won't happen for me. As to safer, well they're a trip hazard, so going on the risk assessment. I often place one stand behind me, and there's no worry about tripping over a leg. They take up less space too. Effing heavy and expensive, but hey there has to be a downside.

    Best advice I can give? Get bags.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,316

    Default

    One downside - the base plate is *heavy*.

    So it does radically affect the way you load in/out. Plus, I had to place that base plate carefully in the vehicle just to make sure it didn't fly around when cornering/braking sharply.

    Used it once and sold them on.

  6. #6
    Disco Dude! DeckstarDeluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Age
    39
    Posts
    8,297

    Default

    I got some and I'm abit meh about them. I got a pair but they're still largely on display. I think if I can find a nice centrepiece room filling light and just have the one directly behind me I'd be ok with them.

    Only one person cares about them though, so there's no real right or wrong here.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

    DDWES Event Hire

    www.ddwes.co.uk

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chester-le-Street
    Posts
    4,166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Agreed totally.



    With the greatest respect Chris:

    COBBLERS.
    The only time I would ever countenance tripods is as speaker stands, and since I only use Column speakers, or subs and tops, it won't happen for me. As to safer, well they're a trip hazard, so going on the risk assessment. I often place one stand behind me, and there's no worry about tripping over a leg. They take up less space too. Effing heavy and expensive, but hey there has to be a downside.

    Best advice I can give? Get bags.
    Told you I was in the minority lol

    As far as H&S goes though, I know more people with broken/damaged toes and feet due to dropping the base plates than I know of people who have injured themselves tripping over a tripod.

    As I say on display they are a massive improvement, much better than scims, but for one stand behind you I will still stick with a tripod.

  8. #8
    mbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Are these the type everyone is referring to?......or the ones with a more flat, square plate/

    https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...ound-Base/25IQ

    Thanks again..

    Any recommendations with a link would be good.

  9. #9
    Dinosaur Excalibur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Age
    66
    Posts
    26,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    One downside - the base plate is *heavy*.

    So it does radically affect the way you load in/out. Plus, I had to place that base plate carefully in the vehicle just to make sure it didn't fly around when cornering/braking sharply.

    Used it once and sold them on.
    It's a flat lump of metal. It's the first thing in the van, flat on the floor! How can it move? ( Unless it's not in a bag. Then it moves). Coupled with T-bars, it's the biggest step forward for me in years.

    Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Told you I was in the minority lol

    As far as H&S goes though, I know more people with broken/damaged toes and feet due to dropping the base plates than I know of people who have injured themselves tripping over a tripod.

    As I say on display they are a massive improvement, much better than scims, but for one stand behind you I will still stick with a tripod.
    Well according to responses on here, I'm in the minority.
    Years ago, Benny advocated steel toe cap fotwear for rigging up. H&S dont'cha know.

    Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Are these the type everyone is referring to?......or the ones with a more flat, square plate/

    https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...ound-Base/25IQ

    Thanks again..

    Any recommendations with a link would be good.

    I have these.
    There is a cheaper version with one central hole, but these are much more versatile. You can have two poles in one plate, or you can put the pole at the outside, and stand your column speaker on the plate. Effectively the same weight as the little round speaker stands, but in my humble opinion, more stable. Also available in White.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

    www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

  10. #10
    mbp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    102

    Default

    thanks for the link

    So, can you pop a speaker on a pole (using the centre hole) and a lighting effect on a pole (using one of the other holes)?

    Or would be a bit unsafe?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •