Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it wise to go backwards ?

Default Is it wise to go backwards ?

Most of you will know that kit just doesn't float my boat at all, however having a little think about lighting.

Remember about 7/8 ish years ago when everyone was going out with a powerbar/megabar type lighting and nothing else ? Well I am considering going back in time and doing just that.

Currently I use a couple of ADJ Starbursts and a gigbar which does the job, however considering swapping out the gigbar for one of these

Any thoughts ?
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Most of you will know that kit just doesn't float my boat at all, however having a little think about lighting.

Remember about 7/8 ish years ago when everyone was going out with a powerbar/megabar type lighting and nothing else ? Well I am considering going back in time and doing just that.

Currently I use a couple of ADJ Starbursts and a gigbar which does the job, however considering swapping out the gigbar for one of these

Any thoughts ?
    You know what - I'm starting to think the same way these days. So long as it's bright enough, I really don't think the punters notice what we're using unless it's something really out of the ordinary (as in retro screens instead of sparkle booths).

I slimmed my setups down last year and it's working for me. I can be in and out of the average gig in 20-30 minutes these days.

I've been pondering exactly the same thing for years but I haven't quite been able to bring myself to do it

A few wash PARs on a couple of stands... job done. Who needs movers or derby thingies anyway? Nobody actually LIKES gobos or dotty splodges do they?

Edit: I say this & find myself almost at the pont of deciding to definitely do it.. then I thumb through my gig photos & see the lovely stuff my movers can do in a bit of haze etc... Pride taking precedence over customers caring about stuff... grrr

When I saw the title of the thread about going backwards, I thought you meant reducing your prices...

A few years ago, I had my favourite lighting setup of 2 x Chauvet Intimidator Barrel 305 and 2 x Chauvet Intimidator Trio

Only 4 lights, but gave me a huge amounts of flexibility and an incredible light show.

But once flight cased up it was heavy kit. And heavy to lift up and set up on the t-bar at each gig

So I downsized to 2 x IMG Stageline MINIZOOM-712 and 2 x Equinox Fusion 100 Spot

They were the closest replacements I could find to what I had, but in a smaller, more compact size. They remain wired up to my mini t-bar which sits in a padded back, so all I need to do is plonk the t-bar on top of the pole, connect up the DMZ and IEC cable and away we go. I love how much lighter they are, and quicker to install. And it still puts on a really decent lightshow. Of course, I do miss the coverage the original lightshow had... but I don't think any punter has ever noticed any difference.

And for any tricky locations, I've used a budget version of a gig bar, and again, no one has batted an eye lid.

If anything, I think there's a growing preference for something that visually looks more "slim" and minimalistic. As long as it flashes, then all is good - and a wash show is always a safe bet, provided it's under DMX control.

If anything, watching some of the larger light shows I've been involved with when I've DJ'd at events where a sound and lighting team come in and set up their own kit, it's useful to see what they do - usually it is quite subtle and not too "flashy".

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    A few wash PARs on a couple of stands... job done. Who needs movers or derby thingies anyway? Nobody actually LIKES gobos or dotty splodges do they?
    There's a wedding venue we're regularly at and at the start of the evening before we start any music etc we have pink hearts slowly rotating. Every time we hear someone say how good they look and take a photo etc.

Once everyone's actually on the floor I don't think anyone cares, or can even notice them.
    Nathan.

I very nearly went that route but decided to get the gravity stands and hang some effect lights off that instead.

You consider most bands just rock up with one and perform. I just prefer effect lighting purely for my own mental stimulation really rather than anything else.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    There's a wedding venue we're regularly at and at the start of the evening before we start any music etc we have pink hearts slowly rotating. Every time we hear someone say how good they look and take a photo etc.

Once everyone's actually on the floor I don't think anyone cares, or can even notice them.
    I went down the gobo route ages ago & I'm increasingly finding people are non plussed by them - especially photographers who ask for anything but plain white wash to be turned off for the first dance.

My rig barely changes for most gigs & can handle a variety of venue sizes. It sure looks pretty from the front (with haze) but is it worth all the lugging heavy cases around? I'm not sure.

Name:  IMG_8197.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  IMG_20190928_193344.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  66.9 KB

That's just 2x Stairville Crown Fx & 4x Marq Gesture Spot 300. I put a couple of equinox rgbw pixel battens in the rig in the latter shot. Oh & ten par uplights around the hall picking out roof features

Setup time for the most part... I generally take less than half an hour to rig - with laptop/controller/radio mic, booth, 2x tops, gravity stands, 2x wash, 4x movers & hazer

Btw I've modded all my lights for wireless dmx so only have to provide power. One IEC lead per stand, up to the wash par, then out of there via an IEC y cable to each mover. Easy peasy
    Last edited by Nakatomi; 03-03-2022 at 11:44 AM.

I went down the gobo route ages ago & I'm increasingly finding people are non plussed by them - especially photographers who ask for anything but plain white wash to be turned off for the first dance.
    It is actually photographers I listen too more than anyone if honest - they are the ones that provide an easy route to couples enquiring lol.

Gobos look great, but most the time only look great from the DJ booth, not facing it. From the dancefloor it is 'just light' and without haze it is 'just light without any beams ' lol.

Wireless DMX - I dunno why all fixtures don't come with it as standard now for all it costs. I just need to decide what DMX system I want to use now which is the biggest headache - although may plump for ADJ Mydmx go
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Any thoughts ?
    Yup, every now and again, when I'm expecting to be rushed, I take the trusty, venerable Teutonic Powerbar off the shelf. Sometimes I may add a couple of effects, but I never feel undergunned with only the Powerbar.

I've been pondering exactly the same thing for years but I haven't quite been able to bring myself to do it

One beautiful stately home I've worked at does. I take in a grand's worth of controlled lights, and they proudly turn on two ghastly ten quid spotty dotty lights. You should see the tog's face when they fire them up!

Quote Originally Posted by DJWilson View Post
    Absolutely, but...........

This is becoming more and more what then happens. Why do we even bother? In some ways, the best wedding effect for me is from the Chauvet scanners, just one gobo, that I can point away from the B&G.

Gobos look great, but most the time only look great from the DJ booth, not facing it. From the dancefloor it is 'just light' and without haze it is 'just light without any beams ' lol.
    Don't start me on that! We stand behind the rig, safe in the knowledge that it's a symphony of lights complimenting each other, and when we nip to the toilets and look from the front, it's just flashing lights.
    Wireless DMX - I dunno why all fixtures don't come with it as standard now for all it costs. I just need to decide what DMX system I want to use now which is the biggest headache - although may plump for ADJ Mydmx go
    Well you just linked to another one with your powerbar. I'm told that I can control my bars from my phone, but that's getting a bit technical for me.
    Last edited by Marc J; 03-03-2022 at 06:18 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

I actually think the opposite... Well when I've got haze on. From where I stand most of the time I don't get to see my fixtures strutting their stuff (being about 4ft 6 doesn't help mind). But if I nip out from my spot to take pics of what the punters see I'm suddenly reminded why I bother hauling 50kg of flightcase around. Even then though I think.... Is it REALLY worth it?

I'm still working on another long term project that might yet see me retire my movers for good. Think freedom sticks, but way less lame & much more classy. Basically a poor man's Astora pixel tube