Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vans again - how old is too old?

After spending some time looking through both new and 2nd hand listings and also looking at options for leasing and pcp, I've come to the conclusion that they're having a laugh. Dealers, at the moment, are wholeheartedly taking advantage of the shortage of stock and making up the prices as they go along.

I've found examples of vans that are the same age and spec with similar mileage within the same chains in the same city with anything up to £10k difference in the price tag.

I have had someone try and sell me a van that is the same age as mine, with a lesser spec and only slightly lower mileage for double the price they've offered me for it on trade in.

The industry is cashing in, and I'm out. I'll keep patching mine up for now.

Leasing probably came close to being a good deal, except I'm not really up for paying new vehicle money. Basically because vehicles in general (even now) depreciate so fast in the first couple of years.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Leasing probably came close to being a good deal, except I'm not really up for paying new vehicle money. Basically because vehicles in general (even now) depreciate so fast in the first couple of years.

Julian
    I have friends in trades who run vans for three years or so, and swap them for a brand new one before they need major services/tyres/repairs ( theoretically ) and basically know their running costs per year. Not as attractive if you do high mileages.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Resident Antagonist Benny Smyth's Avatar

I'm driving a 13 plate Transit Custom with 105k on the clock. Bought it in 2019 with it having journeyed just shy of 90k, and for the most part it has been fine. I have missed having a new van, but I can't justify another contract hire agreement. It feels like a van, whereas the Vivaro I had before it felt like a car.

It does the job perfectly fine. MOT and service time has been expensive, but still less than what I would have paid out across the year on CH. With my current trajectory, I've got at least another 5 years of motoring before I need to replace it - I dare say that I will break long before the van will.

I suspect that my next van will be an electric van (or something of it's ilk). Hopefully by that point, technology would have moved much closer to where it needs to be, and that the prices of such vehicles won't be so high. I'm also really looking forward to seeing those flying pigs...

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Smyth View Post

I suspect that my next van will be an electric van (or something of it's ilk). Hopefully by that point, technology would have moved much closer to where it needs to be, and that the prices of such vehicles won't be so high. I'm also really looking forward to seeing those flying pigs...
    The electric option is something I've been looking into quite seriously but can't quite justify just yet.
    I currently drive a little Nissan NV200 - it works for me and allows me to carry what I need to carry, albeit a bit of a squeeze with the bigger setups with things like LOVE letters.

It was the 80 mile range that put me off.

However, they've just doubled the battery capacity and it'll now do something like 130 miles rural (or a bit higher urban) so it's becoming more of an option. They're also doing them for around the £23k mark at the moment so yes....it's tempting as a long term investment especially with the costs of diesel and indeed the scarcity of the stuff in these parts at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

However, they've just doubled the battery capacity and it'll now do something like 130 miles rural (or a bit higher urban) so it's becoming more of an option. They're also doing them for around the £23k mark at the moment so yes....it's tempting as a long term investment especially with the costs of diesel and indeed the scarcity of the stuff in these parts at the moment.
    My mobile phone when I first got it did 36 hours on a charge. Now it's more like 18 hours...

Does car battery technology suffer the same degrading performance issue as mobile phone and laptop batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    My mobile phone when I first got it did 36 hours on a charge. Now it's more like 18 hours...

Does car battery technology suffer the same degrading performance issue as mobile phone and laptop batteries?
    Yes
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post

See How long do electric car batteries last?