Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Storage units

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    Aaaand I'm sat on the fence (says he that's sitting in the dining room next to a newly created kids show which goes up in under 15 minutes).

My history is that I used to be a software engineer. Anywhere I could plug a laptop in, I could work. It actually caused proper burnouts on a couple of occasions (those that have experienced that particular phenomenon will know where I'm coming from), so I've always liked to avoid having the kit at home (because it's work and I don't like work 24/7 because it's not good for you). Out of sight is out of mind...

BUT...I do this for a living now. This is what allows me to have butter AND jam on my toast (I like to indulge). Business costs are EVERYTHING from where I'm sitting, especially with costs for everything going up (I still don't understand the price rise in storage from £80 in 2017 to £132 today). Seeing the number of units they've got and the minimal staff and a very tiny office, I can only presume a little jumping on of bandwagons is going on here.

For previous comments...I have no mortgage (yippee!!! no complications there), I'm a sole trader so no complications there either, and AS a sole trader, I'm actually storing my own property (similar to the van insurance in transporting stuff that I personally own), so no planning issues either.

Anyhoo....the cost benefits at the moment FAR outweigh anything else. I'm going to be paying an ever increasing storage cost at my current location with the associated costs of diesel and time to get there and back, and with no power to test stuff to boot...until I stop doing this. Yet if I convert the garage (cost unknown at the moment), I'll be storing the kit rent free, with power, a kettle, toilet, testing facilities, no travel.....the pros are endless.

The only "con" (and actually the reason I've never stored the kit at home in the past) is security. I feel that should I get the conversion done, a proper alarm contract will be in order to satisfy the slippery insurance people in case of theft
    I've never understood the mentality that, if the equipment is at home, it'll intrude on your personal time. I've run multiple businesses from home over the last 17 years and I've only had a storage unit for a few months while we extended in 2010. The kit stays in the store and I have no urge to touch it just because its there. If anything, home storage improves my work/life balance because I don't have to spend time fetching it and I can load up/unload at times to fit around me and the family.

Just don't leave an up and over door on the front of the garage when you convert. That's not secure

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post

Just don't leave an up and over door on the front of the garage when you convert. That's not secure

Julian
    Absolutely! I'm prepared to allow those powered roller shutters, as they're insulated, and reasonably secure. Definitely not the up and over type at all. There are some marvellous security personnel doors available where you buy the whole thing ready built, and just fasten it into the wall.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    And to balance things up, I hold a view totally divergent from Chris. Doesn't mean I'm right, of course. ( Although it is undoubtedly a very rare state of affairs).
    See while I get why you want to work that way, if I had everything at home I could dip in and out of jobs much easier with working from home.

Get yourself one of those office gardens/pub garden setups Chris?
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    See while I get why you want to work that way, if I had everything at home I could dip in and out of jobs much easier with working from home.
    Neil, while that's exactly my attitude, obviously Chris wants to shut the door on the unit, go home and relax with no thoughts of work to stop him unwinding. I can see how someone would feel that way, especially if they aren't just a one man band like me, who only does Discos.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Get yourself one of those office gardens/pub garden setups Chris?
    I've seen some of those. They're magnificent. Hey Wayne, see if you can stretch to one of those with storage area attached. Win, win.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Hey Wayne, see if you can stretch to one of those with storage area attached. Win, win.
    Unfortunately that'd mean losing the workshop, and that AIN'T happenin' !

As of today I'm the proud renter of a lock up.

Not to cast aspersions about the previous person in charge of let's but it's weird how I've had my name down for one for years and as soon as a new start takes over divvying then out one all of a sudden becomes available literally within eyesight of my living room window.

I digress.

Once I do a bit of measuring I'll be ordering a cen5 padlock

Probably looking at adding some sort of low key internal lock too though I don't want to make it too obvious it's dubbed right up either.

Storage wise I literally fit every bit of my gear under my stairs / into my C3 picasso so I'm thinking:

Tarp on the deck, a couple of pallets then another tarp then my gear. Cover it with some sort of decent dust sheet.

Is there anything else I should be thinking about or taking into consideration? It's a concrete base and there doesn't seem to be much if any insulation in the roof. It's the end one so 2 of 3 brick and pebble dash walls are exterior if that'll have a say in condensation etc...

I've stored golf clubs and my bike in a neighbours identical unit across the way for years with no problems but this is obviously more delicate kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    Is there anything else I should be thinking about or taking into consideration?
    I can't help with the condensation/warmth side, but I highly recommend getting a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capacity-Ga...dp/B0178EBXD8/

Because you can set the height of the shelves to your own requirements, it's a gamechanger for storage. Slide everything onto the relevant shelf, and it makes loading/unloading 100x easier than trying to stack it all on top of itself. Plus it gets it off the ground without needing to worry about pallets.

If I were to be using a garage (which I assume this is), I'd almost want to put a container of some sort within it, to provide an additional layer of security. And if it's close enough to get wifi from your house, then some form of Ring camera, even inside the unit, so it's not too obvious, would give you an immediate alert to any "activity".

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I can't help with the condensation/warmth side, but I highly recommend getting a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Capacity-Ga...dp/B0178EBXD8/

Because you can set the height of the shelves to your own requirements, it's a gamechanger for storage. Slide everything onto the relevant shelf, and it makes loading/unloading 100x easier than trying to stack it all on top of itself. Plus it gets it off the ground without needing to worry about pallets.

If I were to be using a garage (which I assume this is), I'd almost want to put a container of some sort within it, to provide an additional layer of security. And if it's close enough to get wifi from your house, then some form of Ring camera, even inside the unit, so it's not too obvious, would give you an immediate alert to any "activity".
    I was thinking of getting shelving and putting my tools in there and doing away with my garden shed. It's not huge but it takes up space we could be enjoying out the back and would make my aspirations to put fake grass down for the dog that much easier. One of those would likely hold every bit of my gear no problem.

We've got a spare Arlo camera that miiiiiiiiight, just be able to pick up our WiFi. That would be ideal

Shelving ordered along with what the grading system states is a Military grade lock + security hasp.

I'll keep the council padlock too which looks reasonably tamper proof.

Hopefully that'll be enough to deter any wrong uns but I'll see if the Arlo can go in too and I'm going to stick a deadbolt on the inside too.

I've had my container unit for a few months now and so glad I went for it. It makes loading/uploading so much easier!

I've got a mix of shelving (similar to the link a few posts ago) along with pallets which came up for free on Facebay days after taking the unit on.

Still not got everything quite all finished, but even being half done and some shelves in pieces on the floor ready for assembly there's plenty of room.

Even got space for a work bench and a couple of chairs when doing routine checks etc on kit.
    Nathan.