Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: No output Line-Out when BOTH phono plugs in....

Default No output Line-Out when BOTH phono plugs in....

Ok, so this is a weird one....

I'm setting up for a quiz night that looks like I'm going to be spread across 2 rooms.

Main PA speaker : KAM RZ12AP V3

Slave PA speaker : KAM RZ10A V3

Both brand new.

I've made a cable twin RCA phono (RZ12 Line-Out) to XLR (RZ10 Line-In).

The cable bells out perfectly, and if I use it to feed the slave PA from my laptop, it works perfectly fine, so convinced myself the cable is ok.

So : RZ12 Line-Out to RZ10 Line-In, I get nothing on the slave PA : Slightly surprised at this, I've checked the cable several times, and it is all good.

I have discovered that if I unplug EITHER of the RZ12 Line-Out phono plugs, doesn't matter which one, the slave starts to work perfectly, although I have also noticed that one of the phono plugs (in my case the white one) gives a higher volume on the slave than the other (in my case the red one).

I am at a loss to understand what is going on, can anyone offer any suggestions ??

Quote Originally Posted by daba View Post
    Ok, so this is a weird one....

I'm setting up for a quiz night that looks like I'm going to be spread across 2 rooms.

Main PA speaker : KAM RZ12AP V3

Slave PA speaker : KAM RZ10A V3

Both brand new.

I've made a cable twin RCA phono (RZ12 Line-Out) to XLR (RZ10 Line-In).

The cable bells out perfectly, and if I use it to feed the slave PA from my laptop, it works perfectly fine, so convinced myself the cable is ok.

So : RZ12 Line-Out to RZ10 Line-In, I get nothing on the slave PA : Slightly surprised at this, I've checked the cable several times, and it is all good.

I have discovered that if I unplug EITHER of the RZ12 Line-Out phono plugs, doesn't matter which one, the slave starts to work perfectly, although I have also noticed that one of the phono plugs (in my case the white one) gives a higher volume on the slave than the other (in my case the red one).

I am at a loss to understand what is going on, can anyone offer any suggestions ??
    Justin will tell you. I have an idea of the principle of the fault. Can't you just use XLR-XLR? Does the RZ12 only use RCA for the output?

EDIT: I have looked at the manuals. Surely RCA to RCA cable is the answer? The 12 has RCA out, and the 10 has RCA in. Simples.
    Last edited by Excalibur; 18-09-2022 at 04:07 PM.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Justin will tell you. I have an idea of the principle of the fault. Can't you just use XLR-XLR? Does the RZ12 only use RCA for the output?

EDIT: I have looked at the manuals. Surely RCA to RCA cable is the answer? The 12 has RCA out, and the 10 has RCA in. Simples.
    Thanks for the reply Excalibur,

Yes, I have ordered RCA to RCA, but doubt they will be here in time for Wednesday, due to the funeral tomorrow. Hopefully they will arrive in time, but I made the RCA to XLR because I already had an XLR to XLR, Just chopped and put RCA's on.

I don't know why it does it, but I can use it if necessary, just by plugging in the one RCA on the RZ12.

If I go from my laptop 3.5mm stereo jack to twin RCA, couplers, then the lead I made up to the RZ10, it's fine, so I'm thinking some weirdness in the RZ12.

Quote Originally Posted by daba View Post
    Thanks for the reply Excalibur,

Yes, I have ordered RCA to RCA, but doubt they will be here in time for Wednesday, due to the funeral tomorrow. Hopefully they will arrive in time, but I made the RCA to XLR because I already had an XLR to XLR, Just chopped and put RCA's on.

I don't know why it does it, but I can use it if necessary, just by plugging in the one RCA on the RZ12.

If I go from my laptop 3.5mm stereo jack to twin RCA, couplers, then the lead I made up to the RZ10, it's fine, so I'm thinking some weirdness in the RZ12.
    Effectively, it's a short in the XLR. I can't explain more, as I don't fully understand balanced, but it's because you've got unbalanced RCA to balanced XLR. One quiet, one loud fits that scenario.

There must be some dealers near Cannock with cables in, surely? Amazon Prime would get them to you for Tuesday.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

In this situation, you are better off using a dual phono to dual phono.

As you say though, that won't arrive in time.

In the meantime, just use one of the phonos. The XLR is mono anyway, so you won't be losing anything by only running one - you've already highlighted that this produces sound.

What is happening is the two phonos are phasing each other out when both plugged in.