Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Which songs shouldn't you mix?

Default Which songs shouldn't you mix?

I've had a few occasions recently where I've moved between songs to bridge between genres and guests have given me grief.

As an example, a week or so ago it was from the break in Love Shack into Freed from Desire.

Sometimes it surprises me what I can get away with (We Will Rock You into Shake it Off for example ). Sometimes I'm not so lucky

Are there any mixes that you've done that work well on paper, but guests have struggled to get behind?

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    I've had a few occasions recently where I've moved between songs to bridge between genres and guests have given me grief.

As an example, a week or so ago it was from the break in Love Shack into Freed from Desire.

Sometimes it surprises me what I can get away with (We Will Rock You into Shake it Off for example ). Sometimes I'm not so lucky

Are there any mixes that you've done that work well on paper, but guests have struggled to get behind?

Julian
    I'd say your main issue is playing Love Shack in the first place

It all comes down to the crowd and what the vibe is at the time, I don't "mix" particularly much but over the years I've got away with some ridiculous ones.

CHVRCHES > ABBA
    The end of Party Rock Anthem into Van Halen's Jump is banging
    My personal favourite which I've only ever been brave enough to do once was Bits & Pieces proper mashed up with Jason Donovan's Too Many Broken Hearts

Jim lad, there's no two tracks that can't be joined by a man with two faders and a microphone.

Now seamlessly joining them so that people don't notice the join, well that's not my department. That's for the lads who need more than just play buttons and channel faders.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Jim lad, there's no two tracks that can't be joined by a man with two faders and a microphone.

Now seamlessly joining them so that people don't notice the join, well that's not my department. That's for the lads who need more than just play buttons and channel faders.
    You and me both old timer.

I have a mic, and I'm not afraid to use it to say "I really don't know how I'm going to mix these two tracks but here goes" and is if by magic, incompatible track 2 is already playing after incompatible track 1. It's all part of the job and for us that do a lot of weddings, is part of the normal routine....isn't it?

Default Mixmaster

I do not profess to be Slim boy fat but have used Promo Only & Mastermix versions of songs which are a lot easier to Beatmatch as they have been extended with a drumbeat. Most work really well.