Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: RCF Art 715-a mk4 set up?

Default RCF Art 715-a mk4 set up?

Seeing as these are my first pair of powered PA speakers, i just wanted to check if i'm setting them up correct before gigs.

Where is the volume setting on the rear of the speakers supposed to be set?
    Im using them from my Prime 4, so should the speaker volume be set to full with volume controlled completely form the Prime, or as i've being doing so far, keep the speaker volume around the halfway point (12 o'clock ish)?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    Seeing as these are my first pair of powered PA speakers, i just wanted to check if i'm setting them up correct before gigs.

Where is the volume setting on the rear of the speakers supposed to be set?
    Im using them from my Prime 4, so should the speaker volume be set to full with volume controlled completely form the Prime, or as i've being doing so far, keep the speaker volume around the halfway point (12 o'clock ish)?

Thanks in advance
    NOT an RCF owner (I'm more Maui, Yamaha and EV), but I set the volumes on the PA to max and control everything from the desk. Others will probably disagree, but it works for me

Quote Originally Posted by DJS View Post
    should the speaker volume be set to full with volume controlled completely form the Prime, or as i've being doing so far, keep the speaker volume around the halfway point (12 o'clock ish)?
    As an RCF user, 12 midday seems to be 0db, so you already have the correct setting.

However, I find things work a bit better with the volume a little bit higher, nearer 2 o clock. Just be careful with your output from your controller - it will be much lower than you expect. I prefer it that way as it gives me a lot more headroom - I'm never getting anywhere near the red zone on my controller.

A question with no definitive answers. The user manual shows a gain control with a mark at 12 o'clock, and a " Max " at the full extent. I'd align with Gavin somewhat, and say two or three o'clock was sensible.

The only thing set in stone is to remember to follow Billy Ocean's Golden Rule: Red Light Spells Danger.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Straight middle at 12 o clock: 0dB, I find best on the RCF.

I've come to the conclusion that any rcf active speaker, switched to LINE input sensitivity has 0dB at an input level setting of fully clockwise. That is, no attenuation of the signal input as any amplifier would be

In my tests of my HD12A mk4, I couldn't get them to even think about hitting their limit LED fully cranked and with +10dB coming out of my Denon controller. They were freaking loud by that point as it was.

So I generally leave mine set at about 2 o clock & they're never not loud enough. If you're not sure, try a test at home & watch for the limit LED coming on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that any RCF active speaker, switched to LINE input sensitivity has 0dB at an input level setting of fully clockwise. That is, no attenuation of the signal input as any amplifier would be. So I generally leave mine set at about 2 o clock & they're never not loud enough.
    I concur, based on the ones I've seen. Another one following similar practice to Gavin and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    If you're not sure, try a test at home & watch for the limit LED coming on.
    To be sensible, I used to find with amps that if you didn't turn them up enough, they'd clip, cos you had to push bigger signals in. Lowering the signal, and increasing the gain cured it often.

To be slightly flippant. never ignore the teachings of the Master, Mr Billy Ocean.

" Red Light Spells Danger".
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    I concur, based on the ones I've seen. Another one following similar practice to Gavin and myself.

To be sensible, I used to find with amps that if you didn't turn them up enough, they'd clip, cos you had to push bigger signals in. Lowering the signal, and increasing the gain cured it often.

To be slightly flippant. never ignore the teachings of the Master, Mr Billy Ocean.

" Red Light Spells Danger".
    To be clear the limit LED indicates the onboard amplifier has limited the incoming signal not that it's hit its peak max level. It's fine to hit this point very occasionally. As a general policy yes red lights mean danger. But performing an exploratory test to discover how far you have to push things for that to happen really isn't a bad idea. Eg so if you know that putting+6dB out on your mixer/controller with the speaker volume at 2:00 you never see a red light blink you can pretty safely assume you're not doing any harm