Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do we think about this mobile setup?

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    It gets me quite a bit of business believe it or not. It's different and people like different. Now if I could find a backup for the Pulsar Zero4000 I'd be a much happier bunny but they appear to be as rare as rocking horse faeces at the moment.

It's still a pain in the wassits though having taken it out on Saturday just gone. It literally only just fits into the van these days and yes, that centre screen containing the infinity tunnel weighs in the region of 4 stone! I was actually ruing the decision to replace the lamps with LEDs on Saturday though once the sun went down.

As for latest gear, Saturday's photo did indeed show a brace of Kam Powerbars. I have got incandescents but was expecting a slightly bigger area to light. The audio side is always digital I'm afraid. I'm not a martyr
    I use an infinity screen with its original coloured lacquered pigmy bulbs. I think that the filament lamps are essential to achieve the desired effect. I do not know if L.E.D. lamps will give the same effect with no filaments. I agree that being different does interest the audience and make you stand out.

The problem with the old lighting gear is that the lights had to contain small lamps not big lamps. The use of projector lamps or other tungsten filament lamps necessitated an extra low low Voltage transformer supply. (240 Volts in and 6, 12 or 24 Volts out).The transformers were heavy and some effects lights had to be fan cooled as well. Examples are sun/moon flowers etc. The small lamps ran very hot and had a limited lifespan. Then L.E.D. lamps replaced them in more modern lighting effects so the weight was less and no heavy transformer was required.

Even the old small pin spots had a transformer inside them, the lamp was normally a GE 4515 (Ex American tractor lamp). This was rated at 6.3 Volt 30 Watts, so drew about 5 Amps. There was also a 12 Volt version of that as well. (Less current, so a smaller transformer could be used)

I love the old stuff and still use some N.J.D. lighting controllers bought from fleabay.

"At every crossroads on the road that leads to the future, tradition has placed against us ten thousand men to guard the past." Stanley Prusiner.

Zog.
    Last edited by Zog; 26-09-2023 at 09:18 AM.

It gets me quite a bit of business believe it or not. It's different and people like different. Now if I could find a backup for the Pulsar Zero4000 I'd be a much happier bunny but they appear to be as rare as rocking horse faeces at the moment.

It's still a pain in the wassits though having taken it out on Saturday just gone. It literally only just fits into the van these days and yes, that centre screen containing the infinity tunnel weighs in the region of 4 stone! I was actually ruing the decision to replace the lamps with LEDs on Saturday though once the sun went down.

As for latest gear, Saturday's photo did indeed show a brace of Kam Powerbars. I have got incandescents but was expecting a slightly bigger area to light. The audio side is always digital I'm afraid. I'm not a martyr

I used to use a Pulsar 4000. It was excellent.
    Last edited by Marc J; 26-09-2023 at 09:31 AM.

Re Pulsar Zero 4000s being rare these days Wayne, have you considered using a DMX dimmer/switch pack instead? I know it wouldn't be as compact but....

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Given that the video is 12 years old, it doesn't really feel fair to make any comments.

Julian
    Only 12 years old. That is no time at all.

Zog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post
    Only 12 years old. That is no time at all.

Zog.
    Given how technology has changed DJ equipment in that time, it's a lifetime.

Julian
    http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk - Quality Disco and Equipment hire for Bristol & Bath
    Weddings, Birthday Parties, Kids Parties, School Disco's and more
    https://julianburr.co.uk - Wedding, Family, Portrait and Product Photography

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Jules View Post
    Given how technology has changed DJ equipment in that time, it's a lifetime.

Julian
    Ain't that the truth! It's around the time that I stopped using CDs. The Cortex seemed to be a stellar advance, which amazingly soon was soon overtaken. Now we're back to using the same type of things again, the wheel has turned full circle.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Nakatomi View Post
    Re Pulsar Zero 4000s being rare these days Wayne, have you considered using a DMX dimmer/switch pack instead? I know it wouldn't be as compact but....
    I have. In fact I've had a QTX dimmer pack for years (you want to see the Frankensteins monster of a 4x IEC to Bulgin I've created for it ). I've yet to try integrating it to Soundswitch though.

Might have to give it another shot when things quieten down at the end of October. In fact if I can get it working, I just might convert the boxes to take 4x IECs in and out of each one....a lot safer than widowmakers

I have. In fact I've had a QTX dimmer pack for years (you want to see the Frankensteins monster of a 4x IEC to Bulgin I've created for it ). I've yet to try integrating it to Soundswitch though.

Might have to give it another shot when things quieten down at the end of October. In fact if I can get it working, I just might convert the boxes to take 4x IECs in and out of each one....a lot safer than widowmakers
    Out of interest, are there any official stats of shocks by "widowmakers?"

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

They are not dangerous if the light boxes are connected first and the controller last.

Is a B.C. table lamp holder safer when the lamp is removed|?

Edit add......https://www.lampspares.co.uk/bayonet...2-lampholders/

Zog.
    Last edited by Marc J; 26-09-2023 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by Zog View Post

Out of interest, are there any official stats of shocks by "widowmakers?"

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

They are not dangerous if the light boxes are connected first and the controller last.

Is a B.C. table lamp holder safer when the lamp is removed|?

Edit add......https://www.lampspares.co.uk/bayonet...2-lampholders/

Zog.
    I bet that nobody can touch the metal pins of an eight pin Bulgin "plug" with a finger except perhaps the centre earth pin, as they are too recessed.

Please look up the British Standard "finger".
    Last edited by Marc J; 26-09-2023 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Fixed quote(s)