Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Credit Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Entertainment View Post
    Is it just me, but that seems a contradiction in terms???
    Keen to have a great Disco with Revelation Road Show

Not so keen to organise and send things through the post!

And then theres the cheques made out to the wrong name of course

I know what Matt means--we get em here sometimes!

CRAZY K

Quote Originally Posted by Ricesnaps View Post
    It still gives the client the time to think and change there mind
    I would rather they think about there decision. I ofter say to people they should discuss anything I say with there partner and call me back. I dont like to presure people in to parting with money. If you put there mind at ease they normally call back as you don't seem over eager to secure the gig. I try not to sound desperate for the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 'B' View Post
    I would rather they think about there decision. I ofter say to people they should discuss anything I say with there partner and call me back. I dont like to presure people in to parting with money. If you put there mind at ease they normally call back as you don't seem over eager to secure the gig. I try not to sound desperate for the work.
    I agree entirely(and with Rice/ Angela) that the pressure sales approach is not necessary BUT looked at another way some people quite like the idea of going ahead and committing themselves because provided you offer what they want at a price they think reasonable they dont have to keep thinking about things---its another job out the way and I personally often do this myself.

Of course possibly by flaffing around so long the date could have booked by someone else---so for those people who like to be sure I guess instant payment is good.

At Xmas I pencilled in a peak date in the summer for some people who were supposed to be coming to see me working tonight before " deciding"

This charming couple then informed me on Tuesday in response to my email that despite me making arrangements for them to come and see me they had booked someone else through a "family friend" ( Yeah some chance
    last week---but somehow forgot to have the decency to at least tell me--me having told 2 other people within the last few days that I may not be able to help them on that date.

Having instant payment of some sort of non refundable holding fee might I guess be useful in putting off people like this or focus their thinking---

I respect the right of people to cancel or not go ahead but sadly we probably give people too much lee way in an effort to be " not pushy and salesy"

I certainly wont be reserving any more dates on this basis in future--i.e subject to an inspection of a live performance--it will now be 7 days maximum--take it or leave it---

I will be interested to see what you decide Matt--might be able to use it as well if the costs stack up,

regards

CRAZY K

Dazzy D

Hi

Coming from a sales background, I have to agree with Crazy K. We do put a great deal of trust in to potential clients, bearing in mind that these are likely to be people we've never met. We've all had people on the phone sounding very enthusiastic about what we have to offer. "That offer is great! Just what I'm looking for! I'll send in a cheque for the deposit". In the time between the phone call and the client sending the cheque, they've heard from a family member/mate/neighbour/bloke down the pub* (*delete as applicable) that some student, who's mummy and daddy have bought a basic mobile set-up for him/her can and who doesn't have insurance, PAT testing, licences, etc can do it cheaper than you. First you know about it is that the cheque doesn't arrive. So, you spend money on a phone call just to be told that your services are no longer needed. Usually, an excuse like "we've cancelled the party" or "another family member booked a disco without me knowing" is used (the latter was used with me only last week!). By this time, we may have even turned down potential bookings for that date. If we could take a deposit at the time of booking/enquiry, then this would more than likely deter the client from looking/making the booking elsewhere. For good customer service, if I were to take payments over the phone, I would also offer a 7 day cooling off period where, should the client change their mind, they would receive a refund of the deposit less any card transaction charges incurred.

Any suggestions on my suggestions greatly received!

Quote Originally Posted by Lewnics View Post
    Rice, You would need a merchants bank account and get a POS (Point Of Sale) machine installed, unfortunately they will insist on a business bank account and the fee's are horrendous unless you have a regular turnover via credit card, basically you will find that you need at least a grand a day via credit cards.

We have had a credit/debit card terminal from Barclays Merchant Services since 1998. When we first got this facility, the Company was very recently incorporated and because we had yet to file our first accounts, the bank required a security deposit of a couple of grand for the first year or so, which I guess is fair play, considering their potential risk.

Also at first, yes, the fees were rather high. Although the banks do review these annually and as your turnover (debit card transactions) and average transaction value (credit card transactions) increases, the handling charges come down substantially, and they can be negotiated.

There was never any minimum turnover set, and I have certainly never heard of any bank insisting on £1,000/day turnover through merchant services.

HTH

Regarding the keen punter and the turning other enquiries away bit...

You aren't booked until you have a deposit, the only thing you have to do is give the first enquirer a courtesy call advising them that you have received another enquiry for the date they were enquiring about and whether they wanted to go ahead.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!