Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PaT testing requirement DJ's

Just thought I'd add my thoughts to this one.

First of all, PAT testing (that's a weird term as it means Portable Appliance Testing testing and, as such, is bad English but we all know what I mean!) is not a legal requirement but there have been a lot of campaigns in our industry to raise awareness of its benefits. I agree that the test certificate is only really valid on the day the test is done. But there is nothing to stop us disco/karaoke service providers visually checking our own gear for obvious defects such as loose power cables, ratting inside the units, etc. I look over my own gear before every show. It takes about 20 minutes but I've learnt what to look for and I now know when items need proper attention.

However, there are also some PAT cowboys out there who claim to do the testing. I took a system to a local tester who passed all of the items tested. However, after testing, I noticed that a cable on one of my Acme lights was loose and showing the inner cores in it's cable - a problem which should have been an automatic failure. I then decided to get the gear tested again (in the same condition it was the first time) and had 3 items fail (out of 32 items including power extensions - big tip - don't buy cheap 4-way trailing extensions!). The problems were easily fixed as my business partner (i.e. my dad!) is a qualified and time-served electrician/electronic engineer and could fix the problems for under £5. Lesson learnt - just because someone gives you a certificate and computer printout doesn't mean the job has been done properly. We will not be going to that tester again (even though it's a biggish company with blue-chip clients).

Some venues do ask for proof of PAT. I did a gig in Middlesbrough last year which were very strict about seeing proof of PAT. Unfortunately, they didn't know what to look for cos they actually looked at my PLI certificate (it was first in my company portfolio) and told me that would do fine. This left me very confused but, as a plus point, it got rid of a rather annoying jobsworth very quick. If he'd looked at the second sheet, he would have proof of PAT along with a full print-out of the PAT test itself.

Also in agreement, I have come across venues (one in particular) where the electrics supply has been dodgy. The first thing I noticed with one regular venue was that my lighting effect bulbs were blowing a bit too often for my liking. I now use RCDs & surge-protector trailing extension leads and the problem has vanished. God bless Belkin is all I can say! I would definately recommend them. Not cheap but neither was my sound-to-light box whose internal fuse blew and took out two PAR 56 bulbs at the same time. Definately a good investment!

Anyway, I'm going on a bit (nothing new there then!) so I'll leave it there for now!

Before anyone points it out I meant rattling and not ratting. I really need to start proof reading my submissions before hitting the post button!