Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonable rates?

We seem to be edging back towards that old chestnut of " He charges £100 for a Disco, therefore he's a cowboy!" This is a ridiculous statement to make - without taking into account the reasons why! The guy may be a part-timer with a love for music, that has a regular steady main income, but likes to do the odd disco for a bit of fun! He may just be starting up, have all the gear, tick all the legality boxes,but undercutting the established DJs to get a foothold in the market.
    He may be an established DJ with a lack of sales ability to attract the sort of fee that he really deserves, and unaware of what the local market will wear.

Cowboys should never be labelled by what they charge, but by what they do( or don't do!)

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    We seem to be edging back towards that old chestnut of " He charges £100 for a Disco, therefore he's a cowboy!" This is a ridiculous statement to make - without taking into account the reasons why! The guy may be a part-timer with a love for music, that has a regular steady main income, but likes to do the odd disco for a bit of fun! He may just be starting up, have all the gear, tick all the legality boxes,but undercutting the established DJs to get a foothold in the market.
    He may be an established DJ with a lack of sales ability to attract the sort of fee that he really deserves, and unaware of what the local market will wear.

Cowboys should never be labelled by what they charge, but by what they do( or don't do!)
    absolutely !!!!!!!

and to add another to the list in your post to which i was a fully paid up member not so long ago.....

they may not be very confident people and be thinking they cant charge a certain fee because theyve seen xyz disco with a massive show brand name gear etc and think im just not in that league ...... they maybe an excellent dj but just need a couple of people to tell them they are.
    The only answer for functions in the midlands ...... Dragonfly mobile Discos Roadshow DJ services entertainment ..... call for a quote

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    absolutely !!!!!!!

and to add another to the list in your post to which i was a fully paid up member not so long ago.....

they may not be very confident people and be thinking they cant charge a certain fee because theyve seen xyz disco with a massive show brand name gear etc and think im just not in that league ...... they maybe an excellent dj but just need a couple of people to tell them they are.
    Spot on - there's also the reality that backstreet boozers and Workig mens clubs, are working to a lower budget than prestigious hotels - there are DJs who are more comfortable working "the bottom end"

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

I can agree with all of the points made.

The hobbyist who has a "real" job and charges very little and does an amazing job undermines those people who DJ as a job because it makes the expectation of paying too little seem reasonable. Whether a DJ is a hobbyist or not, charging a reasonable amount to do the work is a necessity for the industry as a whole. Doing cheapies for friends is one thing, going cut price for everyone because it's not your job is a whole different ball-game.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    Have you ever heard of Richard Mills AKA Rendezvous?

He is a NZ based DJ whos rates start at £700 and yes he is working most weeks!
    Richards Mills is also a professional MC/Toastmaster and much of his work and price go towards that aspect of what he does.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHeadCase View Post
    Richards Mills is also a professional MC/Toastmaster and much of his work and price go towards that aspect of what he does.
    I know - I was just wondering if you'd heard of him.

i have another job but i wouldnt class myself as a hobbiest i am a pro mobile dj
    i would love to dj 5 to 7 nights a week but up in the north east there isnt many midweek bookings and as for pricing who gives a monkies what other people charge as long as you can get the work in for the service you provide then whats the problem

most people take into account what is involved and some just take the and over charge because some people will pay £400+ etc etc.

I add things up i.e

18th Birthday Party in local club 5 min away from me. 4 Hours & 30 min disco total time spent on this gig around 5 hours & 30 min (Setting up then disco then de-rig etc). Charging £120.00 which i charge for a normal private function. If it was further then travel costs added on , running over contract time overtime costs added on etc.
    Last edited by Corabar Steve; 02-04-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Colloquialisms can count as swear words too if intended as such

Quote Originally Posted by ross@rds View Post
    most people take into account what is involved and some just take the and over charge because some people will pay £400+ etc etc.

I add things up i.e

18th Birthday Party in local club 5 min away from me. 4 Hours & 30 min disco total time spent on this gig around 5 hours & 30 min (Setting up then disco then de-rig etc). Charging £120.00 which i charge for a normal private function. If it was further then travel costs added on , running over contract time overtime costs added on etc.
    So you don't take into account time to do paperwork, admin, sales, equipment maintenance and repair etc etc?

Yeah take all that in but paper work aint longand round here £120.00 is the normal rate that people will pay.