Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasonable rates?

Yeah and around here, or so I'm told a couple of times a week!

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

I agree that the market should dictate the levels of charge that its prepared to support. However I would suggest that if the market continues to produce a low (unreasonably low) rate of return. Then this is a reflection of the expectations of the customers. In effect the market place (customers) don't feel that the products are worth any more than the average booking charge achieved within the market. Either way it makes it very hard for those who want to deliver high end entertainment and much easier for those who run rigs on the cheap.
    Keith - Flex Discotheques
    www.flexdisco.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Then this is a reflection of the expectations of the customers. In effect the market place (customers) don't feel that the products are worth any more than the average booking charge achieved within the market.
    Good post Flex.

If DJs understood their worth and could convey that to the clients, then charging a reasonable fee would be much easier.

I bang on about the publics perception of us to prospective clients all day and try (mostly successfully) and change their mind about the kind of service we can provide.

If they are convinced they are dealing with professionals who are in the know, they will pay what you are looking to charge.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHeadCase View Post
    The hobbyist who has a "real" job and charges very little and does an amazing job undermines those people who DJ as a job because it makes the expectation of paying too little seem reasonable. Whether a DJ is a hobbyist or not, charging a reasonable amount to do the work is a necessity for the industry as a whole. Doing cheapies for friends is one thing, going cut price for everyone because it's not your job is a whole different ball-game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    If DJs understood their worth and could convey that to the clients, then charging a reasonable fee would be much easier.

I bang on about the publics perception of us to prospective clients all day and try (mostly successfully) and change their mind about the kind of service we can provide.

If they are convinced they are dealing with professionals who are in the know, they will pay what you are looking to charge.
    Yeah, I have gotten quite good at explaining to people why a good DJ is worth paying for - talented hobbyists queer the pitch on this point. The problem is that most people that book a DJ, particularly for a wedding, do so this one and only time, so the lesson learnt can't be taken into account the next time... because there isn't one.
    The Music is the Life...
    ...And it Shall be Ours!

Quote Originally Posted by PropellerHeadCase View Post
    1) Weekly spend on music library updates (in my case I spend about $80 or about £30 per week on new music, but I know that's on the high side compared to most).

2) What's a reasonably powered system for an average-sized wedding, and what would that cost to hire were you not hiring a DJ?

Any thoughts?
    1) To cut down your weekly spend, go digital - I have gone the digital route now - new music is legally downloaded at 59p a track, then loaded on to my laptop, which has the PPL licence which (a) costs me £200 a year and (b) I have never been asked for by anyone, ever...

2) I commonly take out a pair of 15"s and a pair of 12"s to the average wedding, run off two amps giving max output of 3.5kw but in reality probably pulling around 1kW RMS for a comfortable volume level. There are 6 lights on the truss, all STL 250w halogen - 4 moonflowers and 2 barrel scanners.

I can expand this with 4 discharge colour changers and another pair of 15"'s to take it to 4kW, but only for bigger venues (like the huge ballroom I'm doing this Saturday for example!).

For this I would commonly charge £250 for a standard evening reception (7.30 - 12mn), more if there's early setup or later finish. Now when I get the 'How much? Can't you do it for £100?', I refer them to my website, in particular the equipment list page. I say to them 'Well let's leave out the DJ and the music --- If you can get a printed quote from a disco hire company to hire HALF of that gear for £100 then I'll do it for you for £100.'

Only ever had one person actually try it, and I've never had to do a £100 disco on the basis of that challenge yet!

Sorry, but I'm going to have to totally disagree on that. Its not about how much gear you carry, or how many KW you have (I don't even know what that means) Its all about the service that you offer, and how you can make the client buy in to it. The average client looking at a long list of equipment won't have the faintest idea what it means, and at the end of the day, its what you do with the kit, not what you carry.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

I agree completely with you there Pete, but I think the point that Malcolm was trying to make is that you can't even hire the gear for the price that some people want to pay for your time and expertise.

Some people will never be 'educated', but a lot are willing to pay for a good service.

I think there is also the problem that DJs need to be a 'jack of all trades': you may be the best DJ in the world, but if you're not a good salesperson/businessperson as well, it will be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Its not about how much gear you carry, or how many KW you have (I don't even know what that means) Its all about the service that you offer, and how you can make the client buy in to it. The average client looking at a long list of equipment won't have the faintest idea what it means, and at the end of the day, its what you do with the kit, not what you carry.
    kW = kilowatt --- 1kW = 1000 watts.

How often do you blow your speakers, out of interest...?

It was straight answer to question 2 as asked at the start of the thread, not a statement that Mine Is Bigger Than Yours.

Try changing it to "...It's not SOLELY about how much gear you carry..." and you are on the right lines - it most definitely is not ALL about the service. Both issues are important.

Say you were buying a car. Both cars are the same price, give similar fuel consumption, have similar running costs. One of them looks like a car from the 1970's, the other is modern and twice as powerful. Which one are you going to buy?
    Last edited by pagan_flame; 03-04-2007 at 12:20 PM.

Probably the 70s one, it would look better
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by pagan_flame View Post
    Say you were buying a car. Both cars are the same price, give similar fuel consumption, have similar running costs. One of them looks like a car from the 1970's, the other is modern and twice as powerful. Which one are you going to buy?
    The one with the best driver.