Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Thread: Registering @ Companies House

Default Registering @ Companies House

Ok, so I am seriously looking into registering with Companies House. I've spent the last 3 hours trying to get my head around various things, however, I have a question for those who are registered with Companies House (or anyone who can fill me in!)

My first problem is I am unsure of which company is "right for me". As no-one else will hold shares within the company, as I'm applying a "everything me" policy.

Types of companies are:
    - Private company limited by shares
    - Private company limited by guarantee
    - Private unlimited company
    - Public limited company (PLC)

I would have thought I want to be a Private unlimited company??

The other question I have regards to the "Articles of Assosiation" and this "Table A" bussiness. I'm completely in the dark here, and from what I can tell is this a comprehensive list of rules for the business? As I cannot adopt the standard table A articles of assosiation, how do I go about setting out, or writing my own, simply?

I realise my questions are very selective, but any help at all, or a point in the right direction is always appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Info: In regard to my bussiness, I will become the first and only director.
    - Will Perkins
    Virtual Sights - Professional DJ and Technical Services
    www.virtualsights.co.uk - 0800 8600 195
    Covering the entire south east and further.

Why do you think that you need to become a limited company (not being funny, but your answer, will help me answer your question!)

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Why do you think that you need to become a limited company (not being funny, but your answer, will help me answer your question!)
    It's not necissarily about the limited-bit, as the main reason I want to register Virtual Sights, is so that the name is registered (i.e. No one else can use it). I also want to be seen (in the eyes of the law) as a proper bussiness (Non-limited companies may be seen as this- Im not sure).

If things go to plan, hopefully I will move us into the world of PAYE etc, and doesn't having the company registered help with all this.

In short. I want it to be secured, above board and professional.

I have got big plans as of September/October this year and the paper work needs to keep up!

Thanks for your help.
    - Will Perkins

Quote Originally Posted by DMX Will View Post
    It's not necissarily about the limited-bit, as the main reason I want to register Virtual Sights, is so that the name is registered (i.e. No one else can use it). I also want to be seen (in the eyes of the law) as a proper bussiness (Non-limited companies may be seen as this- Im not sure).

If things go to plan, hopefully I will move us into the world of PAYE etc, and doesn't having the company registered help with all this.

In short. I want it to be secured, above board and professional.

I have got big plans as of September/October this year and the paper work needs to keep up!

Thanks for your help.
    OK - The idea of a limited company is that you are creating a seperate legal identity, and that any liabilities accrued are limited to being retrievable only against the company assets - in other words your personal assets are protected.
    Registering the name with Companies House wll restrict the availability of the name, but not totally protect it - There would be nothing to stop me registering Virtual Sights (Hereford)Ltd.
    Being a limited company may give you a more professional appearance in the eyes of some, but in reality, it is no more professional than a sole trader or partnership.
    You are seen in the eyes of the law as being a proper business by registering with the Inland Revenue.
    You are equally able to pay employees through PAYE as a limited company or a sole trader.
    The main difference you will find is in your tax treatment, and I would recommend that you consider speaking to your bank, an accountant or the local Chamber of Commerce, who give great advice on business start ups, and help you make your mind up.

Covering, West Midlands, Cotswolds, South & Mid Wales. Have van, will travel!
    National Association of DJs

Cheers Pete
    - Will Perkins