Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PAT and PLI

nigelwright7557

You need to cover yourself tho.
    If someone trips over some of your equipment and gets hurt then you are in trouble.

The same goes for PAT, if someone got a shock touching your equipment then are in serious trouble.

If the venue doesnt care then that is their problem but you need to cover your back.

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Then why do we put ourselves through this?
    I know it's the law but if it's the 'LAW' why don't people insist on this?
    I could spend that money elsewhere?

I know i now feel comfotable knowing 'I'm alright jack' but how many cowboy's are out there creaming off what the honest person / proffesional DJ's are doing?

I am really giving some thought of giving my preformance charges an upgrade new or not but there is a fine line to tow.
    I wasn't under the impression this was law! but in all truthfulness it makes sence to have both, and if the venue dosen't show interest don't worry to much if something does go pear shaped your covered!

In the 30 or so years I've been a Dj not once have I been asked for either and I've even done gigs for enviromental heath in my local area and all they were interested in was
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Quote Originally Posted by colint View Post
    I wasn't under the impression this was law!
    It's not but that was posted in April.......i've learnt a lot since then.
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

I wasn't under the impression this was law! but in all truthfulness it makes sence to have both, and if the venue dosen't show interest don't worry to much if something does go pear shaped your covered!

In the 30 or so years I've been a Dj not once have I been asked for either and I've even done gigs for enviromental heath in my local area and all they were interested in was
    It seems strange that people say this. I've probably been asked for PLI about half a dozen times this year. Do you not ever do Hotel chains Colin?

yes used to do a lot for churchill hotel group (west end of london) and the hilton chain & one or two others & the only thing they ever seemed worried about was if I was using a smoke machine? But that was a few years ago!

I do agree with the pat thing but think it should be regulated! at the moment anyone can buy a pat tester and set up testing peoples kit without much of a worry until something goes wrong!

I even came across a site a few weeks ago selling them second hand complete with sticker etc! Thats not so good is it?

http://www.pat-training.co.uk/second_user_pat.htm
    Last edited by colint; 28-10-2007 at 12:37 PM.
    Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    It seems strange that people say this. I've probably been asked for PLI about half a dozen times this year. Do you not ever do Hotel chains Colin?
    I dont work as often as you Daz--average 1 and a half gigs a week say but this year not ONE request.

I have had requests on a couple of Wedding Quotes for PLI/ PAT

Certainly odd that we dont all get asked more often.

Ah well--it took time to ban smoking

CRAZY K

yes used to do a lot for churchill hotel group (west end of london) and the hilton chain & one or two others & the only thing they ever seemed worried about was if I was using a smoke machine? But that was a few years ago!
    Strange, 'cos the Hilton chain is the one that's asked me for PLI the most this year!

Strange, 'cos the Hilton chain is the one that's asked me for PLI the most this year!
    I did say it was a while ago, think the last one I did was the croydon hilton about 3-4 years ago!

I tend to stear clear of the hotels now because of the wedding planner/event manager thing (very annoying people) and I just don't have tome in my life for these upstarts!

and the hilton chain
    We have a contract with a Hilton Hotel. This year, the manager changed and I wasn't sure if we were going to keep the contract. He was in negotiations with another firm but I went in and had a meeting with him, and we have kept the contract. Why? Because I immediately mentioned PAT, PLI, Contracts & H&S!

We regularly get asked for both PAT & PLI, but when we've spoken to some others who haven't asked, it's purely because they don't know the law and the contents of their own insurance policies!

(and before anyone says anything, yes, I know PAT isn't law, but the obligation to maintain and keep equipment safe is the law, and if you haven't got PAT results as part of your maintenance log, what are you going to produce to prove that you've complied with the law?)

I did say it was a while ago, think the last one I did was the croydon hilton about 3-4 years ago!
    I worked there a month or so back and they were one of the Hotels that requested it.