Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: last minute booking obligations

Default last minute booking obligations

Took a booking which was only confirmed early this week.

All confirmation and details took place via a number of emails.

No contracts exchanged so far, but emails clearly demonstrate the details and terms of the booking.

Booking cancelled last night. This would under any other circumstance invoke my standard full payment clause (as it's so close to the event). Can I still chase this payment based on the emails or am i going to have to put this one down to experiance?

The way I see it, if no contracts have been exchanged, then all this is, is an enquiry that hasn't turned into a booking.
    Steve Mad, bad & dangerous to know www.corabar.co.uk
    Better to study for one hour with the wise, than to drink wine with the foolish.
    The opinions of Corabar Steve are not necessarily those of Corabar Entertainment, or any of its subsidiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Corabar Steve View Post
    The way I see it, if no contracts have been exchanged, then all this is, is an enquiry that hasn't turned into a booking.
    Thanks for that Steve. The emails I have confirm payment arrangements, event confirmation etc... rather than simply detailing what "could" be possible. Just wondered if this held any legal ground at all. Useful to know where the line is drawn for future use.

Thanks for the quick reply anyway.

Personally I'd probably go after them for the 'booking fee' as you'd accepted their booking in good faith. Point out that you could in theory be chasing them for the full amount and that you feel this is a good compromise.

Worth a shot anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Personally I'd probably go after them for the 'booking fee' as you'd accepted their booking in good faith. Point out that you could in theory be chasing them for the full amount and that you feel this is a good compromise.

Worth a shot anyway!
    I was considering sending a bill for the full amount but less my travel & roadie costs.

Having done a little research, I found the following:

http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg...3866263&r.s=sc

Which certainly suggests that the "offer" and "acceptance" part of this weekends booking is clearly documented. One of the emails also states that a contract will be sent out which would cover the "intention to create legal relations"

As you said, can't hurt to send a bill can it

hmmm Is a tricky one...

Personally as it was a last minute booking and you don't have the signed contract or any money from them i'd just accept it as a loss and move on - Had you have had either the booking form back or some sort of payment rather than just their say so - i'd say chase it but with just a few emails it really isn't worth the hasstle. By following it up, sending invoices and chasing the invoice you are only using more of your time that could be spent on clients that have confirmed their booking or gaining new business rather than arguing over a booking fee...

It's annoying when it happens but sadly it happens - and not just in the DJ business either .....
    UK EVENT SERVICES.CO.UK
    * Photo Video Guestbooks & Video Booths *

Based in Worcestershire and covering across the UK - Tel: 08456 43 48 49

Quote Originally Posted by jamesh View Post
    It's annoying when it happens but sadly it happens - and not just in the DJ business either .....
    I know, even worse when it's within our own professional community.

My usual terms state full payment at this stage. It actually won't take up much time to pop an invoice in the post will it. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Out of interest, is "loosing faith" as an explination for making a liable comment enough to make the comment not libel any more?

I would think as it was a potential last minute booking that by sending a invoice the bad mouthing of your business by the persons would be more detremental than a nice night at home with Mrs Snaps
    Tractor Boys we will be back

Always to be seen in Cambridgeshire,Lincolnshire,Rutland,Norfolk,
    Leicestershire,Nottinghamshire and all in between.

www.musicinmotionpartydiscos.co.uk

If I was in this situation and no contracts had been exchanged & they hadn't paid a deposit or signed anything, then I don't think I'd be able to get anything out of them, and wouldn't even try.

Also, if you start trying to bill them for cancellation fees etc, and they need a disco in the future, what are the chances YOU will get the booking?

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Was supposed to be playing at a new club and only had a few hours notice so didnt have time to get a signature on a contract. About 2 hours before i was due to start, i got a phone call to say that i wasnt required as the builders were still there and the place was a right mess and with no contract i had no comeback.
    Lucky for me the club opened the next week and i played there in the end.
    Larry Basham

Can you play something with a beat ?