Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Text Talk, bad spelling, poor grammar, and literacy laziness.

Default Text Talk, bad spelling, poor grammar, and literacy laziness.

Text Talk, bad spelling, poor grammar, and literacy laziness.

I brought this point up in another post after a new member pointed out that it was too ‘picky’ to remind people of the forum rules.

Whilst I understand that several of our members may have some form of dyslexia, in many of the cases here on the forum it’s nothing more than downright laziness. We’re slap bang in the middle of a ‘TXT’ culture (purposely mi-spelt), where it’s beginning to be the norm for people to abbreviate as many words as possible. All too often people play the dyslexia card as an excuse for lazy typing. Quite frankly it’s an insult to the people who have dyslexia and make a huge effort to write, post and constantly improve as best they can.

I am very bad at spelling and grammar (just ask Marc J, who proof read my website for mistakes). I constantly have to check, double check and check again for mistakes in my own posts. Even then a lot slip through the net. It’s because I realise I have short fallings that I continuously have to keep on top of things, as I don’t want to carry over my failings into my business correspondence. By trying to post ‘properly’ here on the forum, it helps polish up my spelling and grammar for when I use it everyday in my business. I can only imagine how it would appear to the customer if I didn’t make a concise effort to convey a professional image during letters and emails.

To finish - my biggest issue here on the forum is the constant over use of text talk. I won’t repeat the forum rule again, but if anyone is unsure of the forum guidelines please have a quick refresh of the forum rules. Thank you.

I totally agree Shaun.

If you do have problems with spelling, then install Google toolbar, which has an inbuilt spell checker. It would make life a lot easier for people who frequent this forum and the people who help run it.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1963 View Post
    Fully agree and support the stance.

However, don't the emoticons also promote literacy laziness?

Genuine question, by the way Please discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    Fully agree and support the stance.

Genuine question, by the way Please discuss.

I'd say yes, but I think they play an important part of the forum nontheless. You have a valid point though.

Quote Originally Posted by EliteDJ View Post
    I'd say yes, but I think they play an important part of the forum nontheless. You have a valid point though.
    And the fact is, they convey an emotion which is hard to do by writing something sometimes and wouldn't always make sense in the context of a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaire Entertainments Ltd View Post
    And the fact is, they convey an emotion which is hard to do by writing something sometimes and wouldn't always make sense in the context of a forum.
    I completely agree, which is why I said they were an important part of the forum. [cue use of emoticon] =

I also agree even though i do fall foul of bad spelling, poor grammar, and literacy laziness .......i do try...well that's what the wife say's....

The amount of times i sit here type, re-type and edit ....it's a wonder how i keep up....

Just another thing Shaun........could you sort my PAT / PLI listing out please....... (just joking!)
    Uh..."You have been fined 99 bicycle clips, go directly to jail, do not collect 200 pounds... who's that naughty boy there?"

Quote Originally Posted by penmare42 View Post
    Just another thing Shaun........could you sort my PAT / PLI listing out please....... (just joking!)
    Shaun

Permission granted to give Tony a virtual forum beating.

Quote Originally Posted by vectisvibe View Post
    I don't think so, unless they are over-used, which I don't think they are.

Emoticons / smileys are widely used & accepted on computers...whether it's on forums, chatrooms or social networking sites.

However...text talk is for mobile phones, where abbreviations are needed in order to get more info into a text message.

It is completely unnecessary on an online forum though.