Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Jim - Scotland's Party DJ View Post
    That's another venue up here just gone to the wall and it won't be the last.
    I had a New Year's Eve fee that was due from a venue. They normally take a few months to pay, but when I went to chase earlier this year, the accounts team had all been furloughed and weren't making any payments!

Of course, as time went on, I did get a little worried. Fortunately, I got paid last month, but I did worry for the venue going and never seeing that fee!!

Ended up being quite helpful getting the fee in the 2nd half of this year with the way cashflow has gone this year!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    I had a New Year's Eve fee that was due from a venue. They normally take a few months to pay, but when I went to chase earlier this year, the accounts team had all been furloughed and weren't making any payments!

Of course, as time went on, I did get a little worried. Fortunately, I got paid last month, but I did worry for the venue going and never seeing that fee!!

Ended up being quite helpful getting the fee in the 2nd half of this year with the way cashflow has gone this year!
    Cash flow is key and these venues with massive operating and fixed costs only being able to operate at a fraction of their capacity is a disaster. I've seen a venue today offering a 20 person package for £2k.

£100ph is still a lot for brides and grooms to swallow for a small package so I reckon many would be put off but the venue may run and open on the assumption of multiple weddings per week throughout the year for 80+ guests at £60+ quid per head minimum...

It's a problem that's going to run for a while. Many of my local venues have converted over to being restaurants and B&Bs/hotels because couples just aren't prepared to spend the money needed to make the venue viable. Although how they can make ends meet with social distancing rules etc. just as restaurants is beyond me.

I think it's more a case of making some money and cutting the losses rather than making nothing. But a lot of these places are stately homes/manor houses and the like and have eye-watering costs of upkeep.

I can't see a lot of my regular haunts surviving long term

Thankfully I've spent the past couple of years working on the marquee/barn type of offering (and by barn, I mean the type where it's a farmer who's converted a barn, paid for the conversion already, and it'd be there whether there was a wedding or not....the overheads aren't huge to keep it in hibernation....we're talking one-man bands who hire in the staff as and when needed to run them).

As for the marquees, so long as there are companies to still hire and put the tents up....they'll survive (again, many of these are in the same position as me whereby so long as they can cover the storage and insurance....they can 'hibernate' without too much pain).

The HUGE problem I'm seeing at the moment though is that next year's couples are already worrying about whether their day will be subject to restrictions. What I'm seeing in local bridal groups is that they still want the day of their dreams with all the thrills and add-ons, including the big evening reception.

My own thoughts now having read stuff from the likes of the W.H.O are that they probably will be subject to a limit on what they can do numbers and entertainment-wise.. Even if a vaccine is available next spring, it's going to take a while to get the required level of protection to allow what we do to happen again. For me personally....I'm not looking to be back in 2021 in any big way and have already budgeted for that.

What hursts most though is that I'm also seeing a lot of local experienced full timers throwing in the towel and selling off entire shows at rock-bottom prices.

Thankfully, I'm also seeing Sidney do the same....the quick quid in the back pocket has gone and he's thankfully moving on to other things

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post

Thankfully, I'm also seeing Sidney do the same....the quick quid in the back pocket has gone and he's thankfully moving on to other things
    I wouldn't be too sure about that, when the demand returns, the 'Syd's' will reappear like the fabled Phoenix magically arising from the ashes to harvest the low hanging fruit. Don't expect this terrible Corvid pandemic to kill off the Syd's, it won't, IMO, it's more likely to assist them in the short term. There's a LOT of people out there looking to earn a bit of extra cash to make ends meet, and a LOT of cash strapped folk looking to economise wherever they can.
    Last edited by Pe7e; 13-10-2020 at 12:44 PM.
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire

Quote Originally Posted by Pe7e View Post
    I wouldn't be too sure about that, when the demand returns, the 'Syd's' will reappear like the fabled Phoenix magically arising from the ashes to harvest the low hanging fruit. Don't expect this terrible Corvid pandemic to kill off the Syd's, it won't, IMO, it's more likely to assist them in the short term. There's a LOT of people out there looking to earn a bit of extra cash to make ends meet, and a LOT of cash strapped folk looking to economise wherever they can.

Exactly this, every pound counts now and people won't think twice of giving up their Saturday night for £100 etc.. Not that they would attract my sort of clients but I expect to be more "weekend warriors" than before.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by DeckstarDeluxe View Post
    Exactly this, every pound counts now and people won't think twice of giving up their Saturday night for £100 etc.. Not that they would attract my sort of clients but I expect to be more "weekend warriors" than before.
    Sid will actually be in a better position as would already have had another job/benefits which are less affected than the self-employed. Having to spend a year in with the other half, missing 'the decks' etc will bring them out in droves.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Are we not just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic - Sidney 1 is flogging his equipment to Sidney 2.

So whilst 1 Sidney has gone, another is now loaded with the kit ready to go...

It's whack-a-mole!

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    Are we not just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic - Sidney 1 is flogging his equipment to Sidney 2.

So whilst 1 Sidney has gone, another is now loaded with the kit ready to go...

It's whack-a-mole!
    Or a moonshot

Something which may be of interest peeps - if only to keep us from further re-arranging the deckchairs for a little while longer....

I've applied (it's a GRANT after all so non-repayable). If I can cover my overheads for the sake of filling in a couple of forms I'm a happy (unemployed/non-viable) DJ

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/DYCP

I've applied (it's a GRANT after all so non-repayable). If I can cover my overheads for the sake of filling in a couple of forms I'm a happy (unemployed/non-viable) DJ
    Good Luck. Go for it! I hope you get it.

I'm considering applying for disability allowance myself, but I think my recently acquired Teutonic 'junior' super car may result in a few raised eyebrows, although my current medical condition certainly entitles me to put a claim in for it. My problem is, I've never claimed benefits in my life, and I'm reluctant to do so now. My pride/self respect is getting in the way, although it's the sensible thing to do given the current circumstances. Like many others I'd made plans and provisions for the future, but who could have ever imagined the worldwide economic devastation as a result of the covid19 pandemic occurring? Not me for sure. Rant Over. It's almost 6am, half a bottle of whiskey has already been consumed, and I still can't sleep. LOL
    Inside every old person, is a young person wondering 'What The Hell Happened'. Tempus Fugit

Disco 4 Hire