Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gravity stands

Default Gravity stands

Ive not posted for aaages!

Finally got round to updating stuff, specifically speaker and lighting stands..

Gravity stands.....mmmm

What's everyones thoughts on them??

Ta

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Ive not posted for aaages!

Finally got round to updating stuff, specifically speaker and lighting stands..

Gravity stands.....mmmm

What's everyones thoughts on them??

Ta
    One word - BRILLIANT

Much, MUCH better than tripods by a very long way

I am in the minority here in that I don't like them UNLESS they are on show.
    If behind the booth etc I much prefer a tripod - easier, safer and looks the same, however if 'on show' the gravity stands do look more aesthetically pleasing.
    Then we come to the question of will people notice ................but best leave that for another topic lol
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Imagine View Post
    One word - BRILLIANT

Much, MUCH better than tripods by a very long way
    Agreed totally.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    I am in the minority here in that I don't like them UNLESS they are on show.
    If behind the booth etc I much prefer a tripod - easier, safer and looks the same, however if 'on show' the gravity stands do look more aesthetically pleasing.
    Then we come to the question of will people notice ................but best leave that for another topic lol
    With the greatest respect Chris:

COBBLERS.
    The only time I would ever countenance tripods is as speaker stands, and since I only use Column speakers, or subs and tops, it won't happen for me. As to safer, well they're a trip hazard, so going on the risk assessment. I often place one stand behind me, and there's no worry about tripping over a leg. They take up less space too. Effing heavy and expensive, but hey there has to be a downside.

Best advice I can give? Get bags.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

One downside - the base plate is *heavy*.

So it does radically affect the way you load in/out. Plus, I had to place that base plate carefully in the vehicle just to make sure it didn't fly around when cornering/braking sharply.

Used it once and sold them on.

I got some and I'm abit meh about them. I got a pair but they're still largely on display. I think if I can find a nice centrepiece room filling light and just have the one directly behind me I'd be ok with them.

Only one person cares about them though, so there's no real right or wrong here.
    The Cheltenham Wedding DJ
    www.cheltenhamweddingdj.co.uk

DDWES Event Hire

www.ddwes.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
    Agreed totally.

With the greatest respect Chris:

COBBLERS.
    The only time I would ever countenance tripods is as speaker stands, and since I only use Column speakers, or subs and tops, it won't happen for me. As to safer, well they're a trip hazard, so going on the risk assessment. I often place one stand behind me, and there's no worry about tripping over a leg. They take up less space too. Effing heavy and expensive, but hey there has to be a downside.

Best advice I can give? Get bags.
    Told you I was in the minority lol

As far as H&S goes though, I know more people with broken/damaged toes and feet due to dropping the base plates than I know of people who have injured themselves tripping over a tripod.

As I say on display they are a massive improvement, much better than scims, but for one stand behind you I will still stick with a tripod.
    Semi-Retired Multi Award Winning DJ

www.ultimateweddingdj.co.uk

Are these the type everyone is referring to?......or the ones with a more flat, square plate/

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...ound-Base/25IQ

Thanks again..

Any recommendations with a link would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by rth_discos View Post
    One downside - the base plate is *heavy*.

So it does radically affect the way you load in/out. Plus, I had to place that base plate carefully in the vehicle just to make sure it didn't fly around when cornering/braking sharply.

Used it once and sold them on.
    It's a flat lump of metal. It's the first thing in the van, flat on the floor! How can it move? ( Unless it's not in a bag. Then it moves). Coupled with T-bars, it's the biggest step forward for me in years.

Quote Originally Posted by ppentertainments View Post
    Told you I was in the minority lol

As far as H&S goes though, I know more people with broken/damaged toes and feet due to dropping the base plates than I know of people who have injured themselves tripping over a tripod.

As I say on display they are a massive improvement, much better than scims, but for one stand behind you I will still stick with a tripod.
    Well according to responses on here, I'm in the minority.
    Years ago, Benny advocated steel toe cap fotwear for rigging up. H&S dont'cha know.

Quote Originally Posted by mbp View Post
    Are these the type everyone is referring to?......or the ones with a more flat, square plate/

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and...ound-Base/25IQ

Thanks again..

Any recommendations with a link would be good.

I have these.
    There is a cheaper version with one central hole, but these are much more versatile. You can have two poles in one plate, or you can put the pole at the outside, and stand your column speaker on the plate. Effectively the same weight as the little round speaker stands, but in my humble opinion, more stable. Also available in White.
    Excalibur. Older than the average DJ.

www.excaliburmobiledisco.co.uk

thanks for the link

So, can you pop a speaker on a pole (using the centre hole) and a lighting effect on a pole (using one of the other holes)?

Or would be a bit unsafe?